Injection pulses for depressurization

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Experimenteer

Injection pulses for depressurization

Post by Experimenteer »

I have been led to believe that in many common rail diesel systems, fuel rail depressurisation at engine shut-down is accomplished by pulsing the injector with a very short pulse, sufficient for the valve in the injector servo chamber to open and close (expelling fuel out the injector spill/return line), but with a duration so short that it does not cause the injector needle to lift and inject fuel - i.e. servo is shut before inertia takes effect etc - sort of like PWM.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever observed this on a scope, or whether it happens so fast that the process is finished by the time the engine has stopped rotating - indeed are injectors prevented from firing by a safety interlock unless there is rotation sensed?

Also I am a little confused by earlier posts on injection voltage. I understand that voltages on the two injector lines should be measured relative to ground rather than to each other - is it the case that on opening, wire A is pulsed 50V positive relative to B, and then pulsed 50V negative relative to B to close it? Is this negative voltage just recovery of the collapsing mag field to be held in a capacitor for the next quick field formation stage, or is the injector explicitly driven through a 100V peak to peak, 50 volts either side of mid-way, or what?

I appreciate any clarification or experience people have had on either of these two points.

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Injection pulses for depressurization

Post by Dave Hill »

Hi Experimenteer (Ahhhgg I hate using Forum names :shock: )

I have noticed this "venting" of fuel pressure that you mention, but only on the Delphi common rail systems that we see on makes such as, Renault, Ford, Jaguar. (in the UK)

You will hear a double "high pitched buzz" at engine switch off, which sounds a little like a Bumble Bee trapped under the engine cover.

I have seen it on many waveforms, using a current clamp, to monitor injector events.

What part of the world are you in?

Cheers

Dave

Experimenteer

Post by Experimenteer »

Dave Hill wrote:Hi Experimenteer (Ahhhgg I hate using Forum names :shock: )

I have noticed this "venting" of fuel pressure that you mention, but only on the Delphi common rail systems that we see on makes such as, Renault, Ford, Jaguar. (in the UK)

You will hear a double "high pitched buzz" at engine switch off, which sounds a little like a Bumble Bee trapped under the engine cover.

I have seen it on many waveforms, using a current clamp, to monitor injector events.

What part of the world are you in?

Cheers

Dave

I think I saw it first described in a Bosch Patent.

May I ask, how long does it last for? It actually happens even thought the engine has come to a stop RPM = 0 ????

You wouldn't happen to have a waveform captured that you could post? In principle amplitude should be correlated to rail pressure.

v12col

Post by v12col »

Hi Experimenteer,

Frank Massey has an has a video in this months Autoinform (issue 9) http://www.autoinform.co.uk/ It shows the injector / fuel rail de-pressurisation on a Delphi system.

Regards

Colin