Save Setup Screen Layout

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
rockker_au

Save Setup Screen Layout

Post by rockker_au »

Hi all,
I was wondering if there is a way to save screen setups.

ie. Say I manipulate the screen to split horizontal or vertical, change to kV probes for all channels and set my scales for HT Spark.

Could I save that screen say in a 'Custom' Automotive Preset for later use to avoid having to set all of my screen changes up again?
Thanks,
Rod

rockker_au

Post by rockker_au »

The reason that I asked is that I have often wished that PicoScope had at the bottom of the Automotive preset list a 'Custom Preset' option.

After playing with Secondary Ignition screens and probes for wasted spark ignition over the weekend I wanted to create a couple of different layouts and recall them without having to set them up each time.

So I slapped this little tool together late Sunday night for myself. Not at all fancy and probably buggy but did the job.
I have tried it on my 2 Laptops that night and the Workshop PC today with no strange happenings.
this is my alternative for now until the smart guys at Pico Labs add something like the Custom Preset. finger crossed.

Here it is if anyone wants to have a look.

I really recommend that PicoScreens be in its own folder to save confusion, as it makes copies of the default.PSSETTINGS file.
Best bet would be to place it in a New Folder in the Program Files directory and create a Desktop Shortcut to PicoScreens from there.

First Thing to do:
I suggest that you save your Current PicoScope screen before you do anything.
1. Open PicoScope.exe, in File > Startup Settings, select Save Startup Settings.(This will save the default.PSSETTINGS)
2. Open PicoScreens.exe and click Save Current PicoScope Startup Screen. A window will open asking for a name for this setting.
Choose a name like default or Original so you know which is the original screen if you wish to restore back to that one later.

How to Use:
You just repeat what you did above.
1. Create the screen layout in PicoScope.exe that you wish. (Meters, Vertical, Horizontal, Timebase........)
2. Click File > Startup Settings > Save Startup Settings
3. In PicoScreens.exe click Save Current PicoScope Startup Screen
4. Select a name to identify your Screen Settings, click OK.

I think the other buttons are pretty self expainatory.

NOTES:
This is very basic it may go wonky on other or multiple versions of PicoScope.exe. dunno, haven't tried.
Attachments
PicoScreens.zip
(27.13 KiB) Downloaded 668 times

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Setups

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Rod,

Another way is just to simply save your psdata file. Each saved capture is also a preset. When you open a data file, it sets the scope up as it was when you made the capture as well as recalling the capture. (Note: some custom probes are recalled incorrectly using a 4000 scope due to a bug in the software, at this time.)

You can also save as a pssettings file. This only saves the setup and not the datapoints of the capture, which makes smaller files. Opening these will set things up as they were saved.

So the number of custom presets you can have is literally unlimited :shock:

THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

rockker_au

Setups

Post by rockker_au »

Hi Tom,
Yeh, I like that you can continue to use the settings restored into PicoScope from saved .psdata files when they are loaded, simple. Although, I don't always save waveforms for every vehicle. And, quite frankly, I don't like the idea of having to open another waveform first to obtain my settings so that I can start my capture. thats just me.
I liked the idea of being able to just launch my favorite setups straight from a desktop shortcut that I create with the tool. I find it easier.

Erik
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Erik »

As Tom pointed out you can save just the settings by selecting a .pssettings extension when you save. Doubleclicking a .pssettings file will load just the setup without any data.

Matt Williams
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Matt Williams »

Thanks for all the replies so far chaps.

Just one more thing to add, if you are using the psdata or pssetting files regularly they will be held within the file menu as recently opened files. This number can be increased in the Tools | Options and then File tab. I know this is not the same as being able to add to the automotive menu but it is still a useful shortcut.

Failing all of that if you have some 'improved' setups please feel free to email them over, i may then add them to the Automotive menu.

Regards,

Matt

rockker_au

Setups

Post by rockker_au »

Thanks Erik & Matt,
I apologise Tom I didn't quite understand what you meant by saving the pssettings. That's simple enough.
Lazy me should have looked further. I didn't realize there was such a choice of extensions in the save dialog.