Can i test sensors and actuators off the car with the pico?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
tonydoyle

Can i test sensors and actuators off the car with the pico?

Post by tonydoyle »

Just wondering if there is a way to check sensors and actuators etc when they are not on the car? have a few sensors that i need to check! any help would be appreciated!!

Matt Fanslow
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Matt Fanslow »

Could you please elaborate as to what type of sensors you speak of?

When the sensors are in the vehicle, they are receiving (presumably) the correct "power" and "ground" required for operation as well as any mechanical input. You would have to mimic those inputs both electrically and mechanically (ie: movement of the potentiometer for a TPS, or change in temperature for a thermistor, etc) to gain an output from the sensor.

HTH. Thanks! Later, Matt.

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

The only sensors that I occasionally "bench test" are zirconia oxygen sensors & inductive pick up sensors (ABS, Cam & Crank sensors etc). These sensors generate their own signals & are simple to test.

I have also been known to take a cam sensor out (hall sensor type) & scope it (still connected to the vehicle harness) whilst I wave a steel washer close to the tip. Dont forget that no signal from a cam sensor, doesn't mean that the sensor is faulty. It could mean that the cam shaft is not turning :wink:

Cheers for now

Dave