Linux Mint Debian Edition

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
PhilB

Linux Mint Debian Edition

Post by PhilB »

Hi.. Has anyone got Pico 7 working on LMDE?
Up till now I've been using Ubuntu based Mint Cinnamon & am finding it not as stable as I'd hoped. I don't want to use Ubuntu as I can't stand that interface & so far I've tried installing Kubuntu & Xubuntu 24.04 with neither installing on my ageing laptop

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition

Post by picowight »

I've been using 7 on Mint/Cinnamon since it came out - with very few issues (despite not being officially supported) in fact far fewer than the windows laptop - but that does get used in the field.
7 is resource heavy though so it might not be the OS causing the instability.

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

The laptop is a HP i5 4GB RAM so it's not top of the range. I installed LMDE on it without any problem & set Cinnamon up as I like to have it. Installed apps like Wine & Telegram then installed Pico 7 Automotive & I'm glad to say that it's not crashed once. Normally Pico7 will crash 50% or more at the time on opening & will occasionally lock up when being used. Yesterday I opened Pico about 20 times & today I've opened it a few times & it has still not crashed. The computer I use at work is a HP Mini i5 with 8GB RAM & that's the one I'll be changing to LMDE next weekend. I've got Pico7 on 3 computers & noticed that the Intel based ones crashed a lot more than the AMD one
When I've used the HP Mini (Diag cart computer) for a couple of weeks I'll report back & update one way or the other

rdedrick

Post by rdedrick »

I'm using Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon. In general Picoscope has been very stable in the past few months. I do my scope captures on a windows laptop and view them on the linux desktop. Lately while zooming through in cylinder wave forms Picoscope acts like it freezes for a couple minutes before redrawing. I have 32 gigs of ram am normally using 10g I installed and update Picoscope through the update manager. This is the only program I use which behaves like this.
Roger