Direct injection diesel engines

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Direct injection diesel engines

Post by Technician »

Okay I'm looking for what might not be available? I'm presently looking at a Kia Carens 1700 direct injection diesel engine. Technology has moved on somewhat since I bought my diesel compression tester kit. Is there anyone who might know of a manufacturer that makes a direct injection diesel compression tester kit?

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Direct injection diesel engines

Post by liviu2004 »

Why is that, no more glow plugs?

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

No its the worry about plugs breaking when being removed. Some plugs are carboned in and difficult to remove.Sometimes access is also questionable. These plugs on this model are down the rear side of the cylinder head. If one were to break it could end up major surgary that I'd rather avoid if possible.

seafordmotors
OneWave
OneWave

Post by seafordmotors »

You could look at T & E Tools part No 4453 You have only to access points being glow plugs or injectors.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Thanks for the replies. $700 might be a little out the price range though for a single job! What I've thought about is having a die made similar to the injector intself and using that to make a compression reading. My neighbour is a tooling engineer and advised he can make me one. I'm going to go with his recommendation and see how it goes.

seafordmotors
OneWave
OneWave

Post by seafordmotors »

You can use an old injector and just take the nozzle needle out. Make a connection to connect your gauge.
works well and it fits

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Thanks, but at the moment I haven't got an old spare injector to do that with. I was looking at the Pico TA323 and thinking should I take a heater plug out, but then looked at my old compression test kit and can see they are similar if not the same as Pico TA323. So I started to try and see what would fit together with the WPS Maxi kit to do a compression test, however, nothing in the kit fits the heater plug adaptors, so I couldn't do a compression test even if I'd got the Pico TA323 kit.

dieselman8228

Post by dieselman8228 »

You could do a relative compression test with an amp clamp that would at least let you know they were all firing the same.

hiperautogranada

Post by hiperautogranada »

Hola, la marca beta tiene un comprobador de compresion con todos los uliles para utilizar en bujías de precalentamiento y tambien en inyectores, tambien puedes realizar una pruebaa de compresion relativa, un saludo.