the number of frames recorded vs. SDD free space

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
tintoverano
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

the number of frames recorded vs. SDD free space

Post by tintoverano »

hi,

it seems that SSD/HDD storage capacity is not taken into account for storing recorded frames, which would be a waste of PC resources

I got a 1TB SSD in my macbook and with given sampling rate, time base, etc. only 1 frame is stored

I understand time base, sampling rate, buffer memory etc., but also there's a tone of free space on the SSD to store frames temporarily

I'm aware that I could set up auto-save, but this is not the question here, because then I got lots of files and no frames

thanks!

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: the number of frames recorded vs. SDD free space

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post, sorry for the late reply

Please forgive any misinterpretation on my behalf regarding your question

Could you provide an example psdata file with the relevant settings where only 1 frame is stored and perhaps further information on the application?

There are a number of options within PicoScope 7 to avoid unnecessary storage whilst also providing features to only store what is required

Once again sorry for the late reply and I look forward to an example psdata file

Take care…..Steve

tintoverano
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by tintoverano »

hi Steve,

thanks for getting back to me!

my issue is not related to any specific file

simply, when the buffer is full one frame is saved and it gets overwritten instead of continuing to the 2nd frame etc. - or with other settings 64 frames etc.

why?

there's plenty of SSD space to temporaly save basically any number of frames until disk space runs out - just like when one sets up auto saving the capture ...

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the feedback

I can now see your suggestion surrounds storing data direct to PC/Laptop hard disc rather than we do currently in the waveform buffer which then requires manually saving.

Thank you, and I will add this as a new feature request for the software team to triage

As to “Why” we don’t use this technique passively at present may surround the limitations placed on the application (PS7) by the operating systems (Especially with older computers)

There is also the issue of those not familiar with the software (using auto-save by default) could find themselves with oceans of saved data not required so consuming storage space

We also have to consider the conscious set up required prior to starting every capture with software using auto-save by default as a new location would ideally be required after each Stop/Start event

Once I have logged the New Feature Request, I have no doubt it will open up discussion and I will share the outcome here on the forum

As you mentioned in your initial post, “I'm aware that I could set up auto-save,

The auto-save feature has been described here viewtopic.php?p=103147#p103147 under the “Actions” heading.

For those not familiar, you can auto save psdata files to any location but the process is manual and not a default option

Select “Actions” and “Buffer Full” as your "Event" then select “Add” followed by “Save” (enter your Save settings)

Note the warning to inform “There is no limit applied to how many files can be saved when using actions
Image 1
Image 1
I do like the warning above as it serves as a reminder that your chosen “Save” location could be consumed with data rather than have auto save as the default option

Below I have also added another “Action” called “Restart Capture” so when the buffer is full (our “Event”) the entire buffer will be saved to a location of your choice (Action 1) and the scope will restart the capture (Action 2) where the whole process will continue in a loop until you manually stop the cycle
Image 2
Image 2
Thank you again for the feedback, rest assured this will be up for discussion

Take care……Steve

tintoverano
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by tintoverano »

hi Steve,

yes to all you wrote and thank you!

we only realize that the current frame will be overwritten too late in the process and then the cpature is lost :)

best regards