Valve timing

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Valve timing

Post by Technician »

My coleague is working on a A10 XEP three cylinder Corsa D. the valve timing jumped. Some years back AD used to advise if the engines were interference or not. I assume they are, could somebody confirm this for me please!

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Valve timing

Post by Technician »

Just to update the thread...

The engine is a none interference engine in which the possibility of valves/pistons contact is most unlikely. The crank journal for cylinder one when timing the engine ideally is best done by removing cylinder one spark plug and ensuring that the piston is at TDC. the crank throw on these engines (3 cylinders) are set at 60 degrees, and while piston three is set at TDC, cylinder one is 60 degrees below TDC. using a TDC pin in the block by turning the crank clockwise until the pin hits the crank web will NOT correctly position the crankshaft for timing purposes.

When the cylinder one piston is set at TDC-C the timing pin should then be inserted into the cylinder block fully. Once fitted turn the crankshaft further clockwise and anti-clockwise to ensure that the crankshaft will NOT move. The cylinder one piston is now correctly set at TDC-C for timing purposes.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

I haven’t seen a non-interference engine with vauxhall since z16se of years 2001-2004. Petrol. A10xep is a fancy version of z10xep which craps its valves if chain breaks.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

A10xep is a fancy version

Possibly so but tests on this engine after the chain slipping and finding the cam timing up to 90 degrees out of spec has shown that the valves/pistons have not made contact with each other. Maybe it was just luck or something to do with the 60 degrees crank throw?