Finding Correct Frequency ranges

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Mpylypchuk

Finding Correct Frequency ranges

Post by Mpylypchuk »

Hi there
I'm struggling with finding correct frequency ranges for a given signal
It could be a crank signal or even starter current
I'm always stumped at finding the correct frequency range to use. I tried the rulers to see if that would work and after plugging in a range i'm left with no trace at all.

Another weird that happens specifically with frequency math channels is that when I created a channel and then later on go back to edit it, the program completely crashes!!

Maybe someone could pitch in! Thanks

Mpylypchuk

Re: Finding Correct Frequency ranges

Post by Mpylypchuk »

Here is an example file. Shows battery voltage and starter current of a Peterbilt truck

In this case I want to try a math channel that displays frequency. I want to experiment with this file to be able to show rpm of the starter, Nm, etc... Something just wanted to try from a post I found here.

However I get stuck when trying to find the right frequency range. I have tried setting cursors between two of the "compression peaks" and the rulers say 6 hz. When choosing either a range of 3 - 6 Hz, 0 - 6Hz, or the others I have tried, I get nothing to display. What am I missing?
Attachments
Peterbilt_battery voltage and current experiment.psdata
(28.24 MiB) Downloaded 127 times

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Finding Correct Frequency ranges

Post by picowight »

Obviously the crash should not happen!

I think the issue - at least with the example you posted is that you do not have a full screen of just the data you want to examine. Picoscope sees the first Highs and low of the data - the current for example and works out where to take it's frequency measurement at say 1.1kA - then it never sees the data pass that point again.
I can't find a way to truncate the data or tell the maths channel to only look at a certain time window.

I asked the question about how it works a while back viewtopic.php?p=103156#p103156

There is an older guide to doing exactly what you are trying to
https://www.picoauto.com/library/traini ... ool-part-1