PicoScope 2205A Oscilloscope and PicoScope 7 Software

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
EaglesNest

PicoScope 2205A Oscilloscope and PicoScope 7 Software

Post by EaglesNest »

Greetings Readers,

I am still new to this forum. Recently I purchased a PicoScope 2205A Oscilloscope from an Automotive Diagnostician from his Amazon store.

Finally, I thought is an affordable oscilloscope for at home DIY mechanic to work on newer cars that requires a scope to see Body Control Module, Transmission Control Module, fuel pump, and electronic products installed on the vehicle. I downloaded both Pico 6 (Basic for automotive) and 7 software. Upon looking at my PicoScope 2205A Oscilloscope model, Pico says it is not an automotive device and I can not access the waveform library.
  • 1) Why did Pico design this oscilloscope, which is expensive, and not for automotive. I have seen some people used it with PicoScope 6 software.

2) Attenuators: I understand that the high voltage measurements can damage the oscilloscope without the attenuator installed. 10:1 or 20:1 attenuator.

3) Which should I buy and use the 10:1 or 20:1 attenuator and how many? Do we use it on all channels with the BNC cables, two in my case?

4) Why will Pico not release the Waveform Library to any Pico device owners?
One YouTube video explained only the 20:1 attenuator about distoring the waveform and it's funtion to reduce voltage 20X. So in this instance, do we not use the attenuator when measuring less than 20 V, foe my device, but how to we prevent surges over the 20V limit?

Thank you in advance for your reply. Your time is greatly appreciated.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: PicoScope 2205A Oscilloscope and PicoScope 7 Software

Post by liviu2004 »

2205 is not an automotive scope for the reasons you described, like input voltage low.

As for not having access to waveform library, I don’t think anyone owns you an explanation but I’ll be happy to help you out with waveforms, in case needed? Just ask?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: PicoScope 2205A Oscilloscope and PicoScope 7 Software

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post, welcome to the forum

The use of the 2000 series scopes in auto environments is covered in depth in these forum posts:

viewtopic.php?p=87821#p87821

and recently here

viewtopic.php?p=103823#p103823

By purchasing the 2205A (which is both competitively & fairly priced) you have a device that will help you get started but not without its limitations as described in the links above

Upon purchasing the 2205A, were you made aware you did not have access to the automotive software and essential features such as the Reference Waveform Library?

If not, would this have affected your decision to purchase the 2205A had you known?

Moving onto your questions:

1) Why did Pico design this oscilloscope, which is expensive, and not for automotive. I have seen some people used it with PicoScope 6 software.

The 2000 series scopes are designed for the Test & Measurement (T&M) industry and T&M software, not for our Automotive Diagnostic industry. Typical applications include laboratories and electronic circuitry design. In such environments there is no requirement for a waveform library, short circuit protection, and high voltage accommodation.

Pico design and build high performance scopes and software for every application targeted at the relevant industry and of course there will be crossovers and limitations between models but no “one-size-fits-all” scope

2) Attenuators: I understand that the high voltage measurements can damage the oscilloscope without the attenuator installed. 10:1 or 20:1 attenuator.

3) Which should I buy and use the 10:1 or 20:1 attenuator and how many? Do we use it on all channels with the BNC cables, two in my case?

I would recommend the use of our 10:1 attenuator here https://www.picoauto.com/products/test- ... attenuator and keep this connected to all channels at all times for all measurements. Please note the max input voltage for this attenuator is 400 V (Low energy)

Please bear in mind “400 V / 10 = 40 V” input into the front of your 2000 series scope which is still too high for the maximum input voltage of 20 V! In this scenario you would need to source an alternative attenuator to cover you for peaks and spikes in this voltage region

4) Why will Pico not release the Waveform Library to any Pico device owners?

The Pico Reference Waveform library is accessible from any Automotive Scope in order to protect and ensure the authenticity of the content captured using Automotive scopes.

It also forms part of future developments that will require the specific functionality of Automotive scopes to further enhance ease-of-use and additional features.

Finally, “One YouTube video explained only the 20:1 attenuator about distorting the waveform and its function to reduce voltage 20X. So, in this instance, do we not use the attenuator when measuring less than 20 V, for my device, but how to we prevent surges over the 20V limit?”

Using the 10:1 attenuator for low voltage measurements is going to impact upon the resolution, especially when using an 8-bit scope.

Removing the attenuator will improve the results but you then run the risk of damage from voltage spikes. This unfortunately is the compromise you have to consider and ultimately make with the 2205A

I hope the above helps, take care……Steve