Hi from Norfolk UK

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Captbarb

Hi from Norfolk UK

Post by Captbarb »

Hi Pico people I thought I had introduced myself I can it twice .
I haven't purchased yet but I'm looking at new.old stock 4223 for £350 .
I love fixing car and motorcycles all fuel injection and electronic ignitions .
Would this scope be a good scope for me any advice welcome it's in my price bracket , and only just starting to learn scoping so treat me gentle .

Patrick

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Hi from Norfolk UK

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Patrick,

It doesn't matter if you're just starting out or been using scopes for years. Once a PicoScope owner you are in a community where everyone, anywhere will be happy to help and support.

A 4223 is probably a better scope now thanks to the improvements with the software!

Couple of things to remember, especially when dealing with ignition is the input voltage is only 100V. Attenuation is a must if connected to anything ignition based and for some solenoids which can often have additional drivers to boost the voltage. Take care also when looking at the ground side of a solenoid which can also see a flyback voltage often above 100V.

A common ground scope which means only one ground is needed which is plus, but it does mean you cannot measure across component as you would with a multimeter. Plenty of people still using this form of scope out there though Patrick and best of all, it is unlikely to reduce in price.

Get the software installed to get a feel for where the buttons are. If you've never used PicoScope software before please get started with PicoScope 7 Automotive. You can download for free www.picoauto.com/downloads and hit the stable option. The software also comes with demo signals to see how the scope would react to changes you make to the settings. You will also have the guided tests to load waveforms where you can perform maths and measurements as you would do with a recorded signal of your own.

To help you get started check out the following link for more information - https://www.picoauto.com/library/training. We also know have an app available on IOS and Android. Visit the iStore or the Play store and search for PicoScope Automotive. There are tutorials, links to training videos accessory animations and case studies.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards

Ben

Captbarb

Re: Hi from Norfolk UK

Post by Captbarb »

Thanks for your kind words Ben,
In the end I ended up buying a complete kit from a retired auto tech I purchased the four channel version with three different rated clamps , and the thing for tops of ignitions plenty of probes all good quality I think the only thing missing is the breakout box for OBD2 for can bus testing sonibe got alot of learning and playing ahead of me . I have the chance of using an apple Mac pc are these ok if within spec.