TA 473 clamp and current multiplier question

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
jueja
OneWave
OneWave

TA 473 clamp and current multiplier question

Post by jueja »

The 60 amps BNC+ clamp (TA 473) is described as suitable for current measurements on broadband a/f sensors, in conjunction with a current multiplier.

What exactly would this current multiplier be? Some kind of looping the current carrying wire? Is there a specific Pico product?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: TA 473 clamp and current multiplier question

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

The following case study described the application of a current multiplier https://www.picoauto.com/library/case-s ... ing-lights which as you describe "loops the current carrying wire"

There is no specific Pico product to multiply current, only the "Hint/Tip" within the case study

The practicality of using such a device is challenging for sure but it will help if current is essential to the measurement

The BNC+ 60 A clamp will perform exceptionally well at very low current levels and using the filtering and scaling features of PS7 may well obtain the signal you require with the need for a multiplier

For Broadband sensors the following video from Frank describes how voltage can be used to capture sensor response https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdbZfXMMTQs

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

jueja
OneWave
OneWave

Re: TA 473 clamp and current multiplier question

Post by jueja »

Thank you for the response. To call the applicability with your words challenging may be considered a not minor understatement, :D . On A/F sensors it might be more than that.

I was aware of Frank's video and will go over it again, it seems more practical to me to go for the voltage measurement.

Greetings