WPS500X dodgy readings?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
dannydebont

WPS500X dodgy readings?

Post by dannydebont »

I got the WPS500X kit and used it for the first time today. I measured all 4 cylinder pressures and they are all well below manufacturer specifications. Minimum pressure should be 22.4 Bar (Toyota GD-6 2.4 Diesel).
Cylinder 1 = 19.2 Bar
Cylinder 2 = 18.17 Bar
Cylinder 3 = 18.05 Bar
Cylinder 4 = 18.35 Bar

(I know about adding a bit of oil to check if compression increases).

Does the WPS500X measure "absolute" or "gauge" pressure? If it reads "gauge" pressure do I have to add the atmospheric pressure at my location to the WPS500X's measurement?

Thank you

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: WPS500X dodgy readings?

Post by liviu2004 »

Have you consider the WPS500X and hose volumes? There were some discussions here on forum how to compensate for that.

When you connect to the scope and calibration is done, you see 0 bar on screen, so the atmospheric pressure is excluded.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

WPS500X dodgy readings?

Please explain the above, what make you think they are “dodgy”

Just because they do not conform to a Toyota spec?

A spec. that potentially has absolutely no correlation to the real world of a pressure transducer!

What is Toyota measuring this with? Gauge or PT? they are very different!

Ps. As ever Liviu is absolutely correct. :)

dannydebont

Post by dannydebont »

No offense intended in using the word "dodgy". Keep in mind that not everyone using this forum or purchase products from Pico's first language is English. I think the context in which we use the word may be different than the way you might use the word. When we use the word "dodgy" it means "not expected" or something similar. So if I say "WPS500X dodgy readings?" it means nothing else but "WPS500X unexpected readings?'. I hope that clears up any misunderstandings. Also, just because you may have been offended should not deter you from giving me a more professional reply/answer about the product you represent given the financial investment I made in said product.

I am using the TA212 hose extension (from the kit) and the 31427170V2 glow plug adapter (also from the kit). Should I make any compensation in the values I get from the WPS500X or are the values I get correct in order for me to act upon such values? If I have to make any sort of compensation then why are there no mention of it in any of the WPS500X's literature? Now, given that I am using components from your kit (which you are familiar with) can you please tell me what compensation I need to in-act in order for me to get a more accurate reading?

Thank You

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

First of all I do not in any way “represent “ this or any other product that you have made a financial investment in!

If you look towards the bottom of the main forum page you will see the following

Legend: Administrators (Red), Global moderators (Green), Pico staff (Orange)

My username is plain old blue just like yours and all other users of this forum.

“Should I make any compensation in the values I get from the WPS500X or are the values I get correct in order for me to act upon such values?”

IMO they are perfectly acceptable for the real world environment that most of us work in if you read the reply from Liviu he states that there are discussions on this and many other forums around compensation values and whether they are of any practical use to most of us.

You have not answered the question “What is Toyota measuring this with? Gauge or PT? they are very different!”

And that is before we even consider factoring in Altitude / Air density / Temperature and the difference that may or may not have on compression pressures.

Considering that most people in the past have relied on a manual gauge that has probably been tossed around in a tool box for years was not necessarily 100% accurate in the first place, probably did not come with a reputable calibration certificate and most likely has never been calibrated since.

Personally I do not care if the WPS reading is not exactly what an (in all probability) analogue traditional pressure gauge may have read on a probably brand new test engine in a lab somewhere!

But that is my opionion and you are most welcome to ignore it completely. Or you could consider investing in some training to further the scope (do you see what I did there?) of your knowledge on the subject a valuable investment alongside your new tool.

Each to their own and Vive La Difference..... 8) :D

Kev.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Here it was mentioned 5 ml sensor volume and hose:

viewtopic.php?t=11821

I would not expect a used engine to meet the specs of a new engine, and also we don’t know the oem test specifications.

The value of wps500x is in the dynamics, not static necessarily. You will enjoy this piece of equipment, e.g. yesterday saw a car, compression test was perfect, however, exhaust camshaft was broken in half, wps revealed that beautifully.
Attachments
E9010A23-2E83-4787-9E85-CCA0C94B1369.jpeg

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
Please use the info from post
topic16131.html?&p=64421&hilit=stc#p64421
about how to use the readed values:the internal volume of sensor is 1.2ml,the hose will add 2 ml ,also you must measure the volume of glow plug adapter (using engine oil and a 5ml syringe,I don't have 31427170V2 adapter,only custom adapters with measured volumes)in the compression variation app posted by STC.In PicoDiagnostics you can add the sum of all adapters in Compresion measurement using pressure sensor.
What issue is present on your engine,rough idling?For this use TSB EG-00162T-TME-excessive wear of camshaft and rocker arm.
Best regards