Interface Suggestion...

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Interface Suggestion...

Post by picowight »

It would be really handy to be able to turn channels on and off quickly.
If I am capturing 4 channels of data and I see an issue in one, I want to be able to turn off the other 3 quickly - both for visual ease but also to avoid a 150mb save file! Pico 7 is very CPU intensive anyway and the click, wait for menu, click off, click back to screen can really slow things down even on my desktop.
There seems to be plenty of unused space on the big channel buttons perhaps a toggle could go there?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Interface Suggestion...

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

From your description this sounds like "delete" channels rather than hide, would that be correct?

You would also like to see the file size reduced as a result of deleing channels?

I like the idea of fast access to hiding channels, just not sure about deleting

Have I interpreted your request correctly?

Take care.....Steve

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

I had made the assumption that if a channel was set to "off" then data was not being recorded - and so file size would be reduced, as well as the waveform not being visible?
What I was after was a shortcut on the button to turn a channel off, rather than several clicks.
Like this :
Screenshot from 2021-12-23 11-26-17.png

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Thanks picowight,

I understand what you mean. A quick way to turn off the Channel without having to enter the channel option panel which would currently be 2 clicks. As you've said by switching 'off' the channel rather than hiding it will reduce the file size.

I will feedback your comments to the software team.

Thanks again and have a good Christmas break.

Kind regards

Ben

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

I would add that the reason cutting down on the amount of clicks is important is because of the heavy resource usage of Pico 7 - even on my (linux) desktop with 12Gb of ram it is laggy once I have 4 traces up looking at a saved file. I have had to get a faster (Win 10) laptop to be able to stand a chance of running it, even then it crashes and/or becomes so slow as to be an issue. A 100Mb file will still take 5s to save even to an SSD. Had to move back to 6 on my older computer.

Kieth DeFazio talking with Ivan (PHAD) discusses needing 16Gb Ram :shock: in a laptop to run it vs cheap 'n cheerful for 6. As they are essentially doing the same thing I can only assume it is the GUI that is the resource hog.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jknKa11_6IY&t=4424s

Maybe give your developers a typical garage/mobile computer spec for testing - especially mobile we are not using £1,500 laptops to go with our £2,000 scopes, we need something that will bounce :lol:
@Steve_Smith mentioned his laptop spec and I was thinking that it was pretty far removed from reality - at least IMO.!

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

The resource usage of PS7 is under review and will be addressed as a matter of urgency

Thanks to feedback from users such as yourself and via the link within PS7...... (see below)
Image 1
Image 1
.......we have been made aware and proactively responding thanks to the dedication of our software teams

Once again, thanks to feedback from our users we are collectively making PicoScope 7 Automotive the best possible solution for our trade and making the necessary amendments where required

I hope this helps and rest assured we are always on the case

Take care......Steve

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Time to move on with newer hardware, we can’t limit software development in 2022 for laptops of 2008. Yes, build it as good as you can, but lets leave old specs to history.

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Not sure if it helps but on my desktop one thing I do notice is that Picoscope 7 only uses 1 core out of 4, running it at 100%. PS7 -Linux stable.

@liviu2004 Except complaints of performance by users with i7 desktops and 16Gb of ram mean it is an issue. Every product has a target user base - if that was game developers for PS7 then I am sure there would not be an issue, however those of us at the sharp automotive end with 3-4 laptops in a harsh environment have to be realistic.

Picoscope knows this hence their work on improving performance. :D

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts

Picoscope version 7.0.93 Early Access now includes a reduction in CPU usage

It would be great to receive your feedback on how it compares to previous versions that have raised this concern

Take care......Steve