Can't Communicate w/Cardaq plus 3

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
sutherm

Can't Communicate w/Cardaq plus 3

Post by sutherm »

Hi all, I'm trying to connect NVH to a 2000 BMW 528 with the Cardaq plus 3. I can connect cardaq with the J toolbox and pull codes but Pico never sees the device. Just get the device box with red X. I search only for J2534. I also have the ODBlinkEX & VXDIAG VXC SE J2534 ddevices and can not get either one to work on 2 different PCs. I've had the OBDLinkEX connect before but it always is a struggle. I can't get this BMW connected at all. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mitch

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Can't Communicate w/Cardaq plus 3

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Mitch and thank you for the post

This is very odd indeed that multiple J2534 devices will not permit communication with the vehicle via NVH!

Starting with the CarDAQ-Plus 3, could you confirm NVH displays the name “CarDAQ-Plus 3” when trying to connect to the vehicle?

Below is an example how the Bosch KTS590 appears when connecting to a vehicle
Image 1
Image 1
If not, could you provide a screen shot of what is displayed at this point during an attempt to connect via NVH?

Could you provide the software version of NVH you are using?

Could you confirm if the issue only surrounds the 2000 BMW 528 model or do you experience the same issue with later vehicles?

I would be interested to discover if the J2534 devices are listed in the following directory
Could you type in Registry Editor within your Windows search bar (see below)
Image 2
Image 2
Could you then navigate to the following location?
Image 3
Image 3
I would like to confirm your pass thru devices are listed as above.

Next could you activate ODB logging within NVH (see below) Tick the box “Enable OBD Logging”
Image 4
Image 4
Could you then click on the NVH button (ensure CarDAQ-Plus 3 connected to PC and vehicle)

Select “Start a new test” and use the J2534 option to connect to the vehicle

Allow NVH time to connect until the warning message appears informing of “failed to connect”

At this point, close the NVH software and navigate to the NVH App Data folder as described in this video here https://drive.google.com/file/d/17fEkhj ... sp=sharing

Could you locate the trace file and send this over to support@picotech.com reference this forum post. You can post here if this helps but the file will contain information about your PC

Within the trace file will be clues as to why we cannot connect, however, to complement the Pico trace file, the J2534 Tool box includes a logging feature that will also help provide additional clues

To activate the Drew logging feature could you open the J2534 toolbox refer to the image below
Image 5
Image 5
Basically Mitch, once you click enable debug nothing happens, other than the status of this button changes to disable debug

With enable debug active you can then attempt to connect to the vehicle with NVH and CarDAQ-Plus 3 given the debug logging takes place behind the scenes

Once NVH fails to connect, revert back to the J2534 Tool box and select disable debug where the log file will be written to the Log Directory

Could you grab this log file and send over along with the Pico NVH trace file

I hope the above helps in the interim and rest assured will resolve this for you

Take care……Steve

sutherm

Re: Can't Communicate w/Cardaq plus 3

Post by sutherm »

Sorry for delay in response. I was able to get it to work by removing all of my VCI managers and reinstalling Cardaq 3. Worked perfect after that. I was planning on reinstalling my VCI manager and related software to see what happens. I'll update if problems.

Thanks, Mitch