Keyless entry carrier signal detector

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Keyless entry carrier signal detector

Post by Technician »

I purchased one of these a while back when working on a Mondeo trying to detect if the keyless security system was sending out signals. I struggled at the time because the system was faulty on the Mondeo and you can't expect to see something working if it is faulty! The detector is designed to work with a frequency range of 125 - 140 kHz.
What my current test would like to do is test for an unknown frequency pulsed at regular intervals, however, if that data is unknown and at what frequency then what type of carry signal detector can I use that does not have a limit to the bandwidth of operation?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Keyless entry carrier signal detector

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post, sorry for the late reply

What you describe sounds like a Radio Frequency (RF) spectrum analyzer given the transmission frequency will be unknown

You can spend £1000’s on such hardware or you can find budget devices on the internet that utilize a PC/Laptop USB port to power external hardware whilst also receiving data which can be viewed using "bundled software" (These can be found for under £50)

With that said, I am not sure of the accuracy or indeed the quality of the components (there has to be a tradeoff) but this sounds like a good place to start

I hope this helps, take care…..Steve

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Keyless entry carrier signal detector

Post by Technician »

Thanks Steve, as ever very much appreciated for your feedback.