How to open Pico 7 in Linux Mint 20

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
crackerclicker
OneWave
OneWave

How to open Pico 7 in Linux Mint 20

Post by crackerclicker »

After installing the current EA Pico 7 on Linux Mint 20 I couldn't find it in the start menu's "All Applications" or the Search bar function. Actually thought it didn't really install. My primary question is shouldn't that be an automatic function during installing using Pico's install instructions? Or is that only if you are installing on Ubuntu & its official distros?

I was able to use a simple work around. Locating the executable and editing the start menu to include it did the trick.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: How to open Pico 7 in Linux Mint 20

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

Once again I must add, my Linux knowledge is worse than limited and I find myself referring such posts over to the software team (I will attempt to remedy this ASAP)

Based on your post and the feedback received from the team, we provide guide/support for Ubuntu and OpenSuse only

What you have highlighted (work around) will most certainly assist others who use Linux Mint as I am sure there will be others

I will raise the concern surrounding Linux support in our next team meeting and discuss how best to proceed going forward

Thank you again for posting, take care.....Steve

crackerclicker
OneWave
OneWave

Post by crackerclicker »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember Pico 7 not automatically loading itself into the apps menu in Ubuntu during the Beta test phase, but that was back when the testing first started. I remember loading it onto Peppermint 10 and a couple of Ubuntu varieties.
So, I loaded it onto an Ubuntu 20 virtual machine last night only to discover the same situation as the Mint 20 install. Not sure if this is something that recently broke, has been broken the whole time, or I'm doing something wrong. Maybe some more seasoned Ubuntu users can shed some light.
The work around was a lot simpler this time around. The executable (forgive me if I'm using that term too loose), is most likely located in the root directory.
Using Mint, open your folder icon, click on File System in the left window pane. This will take you to the root. From there open the opt folder, then picoscope, followed by the bin folder. Here you should see a picoscope file that you will need to right-click, select "open with", then "other applications". From there scroll down until you find the Pico 7 logo. When you select that it should open the program. After that you do what you would if it was a Windows machine, right click the Pico 7 logo in the task bar and choose "pin to panel".
Ubuntu is about the same. To find root, click on the folder icon, select "Other Locations" in the left window pane, then choose the "Computer" icon in the main pane. From there basically follow the same instructions as those for Mint.

Dieseldoc

Post by Dieseldoc »

Re installing Pico 7 on Linux Cinnamon 20.3 / Mint Icon not found to load the program onto desktop.
I found all was required was to reboot laptop after using Terminal to install.
New folder / icon appears in Menu list under 'All Applications' named 'Other' and that's where PicoScope is.
Easier to install than on Windows OS.