suggestion to Dev: save channel config each time capturing is started

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
tintoverano
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

suggestion to Dev: save channel config each time capturing is started

Post by tintoverano »

hi,

yesterday sw crashed on me twice on win 10 and had two re-configure 4 channel settings, which is a waste of time for sure

so the 3rd time I quit the sw before starting to capture to save config

idea: why not save channel config each time when capturing is started?

the crash I had happened when I switched from normal sample rate to high, even the crash dialog couldn't come up - I'll send the traces, but I had to continue working, so they may no be there anymore

thanks

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: suggestion to Dev: save channel config each time capturing is started

Post by ben.martins »

Hello tintoverano,

Thank you for your post and sorry to hear you have experienced a number of crashes. If you could remember the time base you were on we can try to replicate here. Can you confirm which version of software you are using, Stable or Early Access? If you are using Early Access please let us know which version.

With regards to opening with the last settings that is already a feature within the software. If you navigate to More > Settings from here click the Preferences tab. At the top you will see the options for Start-up settings, one of which is the Last session which will load the last settings you were using before closing the software.
Last session.png
You can find more information on preferences on the A-Z of PicoScope which can be found here -https://www.picoauto.com/library/picoscope/preferences.

I hope this helps and please let us know your setup for when the crash occurred and we can try to replicate.

Kind regards

Ben

tintoverano
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by tintoverano »

hi Ben,

thanks for getting back to me

I'm using the stable version

I have the same settings shown on the picture, seems it is not enough though

as I wrote below, when I quit after the 2nd crash settings were kept, but not after I changed something and hit run

so, what is considered to be a session? :)

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello tintoverano,

Apologies as I'm not sure which picture you are referring to. There isn't a picture in your original post so I'm not sure what settings you have only that it's a 4 channel and you were selecting between normal and fast sampling rates. This might be easier to resolve if you email into support@picotech.com as we can link information straight to the software team to help with software crashes.

With regards to the Last session, it should just whatever set up you have when the software is closed. This may be different if there is a crash though which may explain why it worked sometimes and not others. We can find out more within the trace file about what happened when the software unexpectedly closes. This again will be easier over on the support desk.

Hope this helps and please drop an email into support@picotech and we can find out what's causing the crash.

Kind regards

Ben

tintoverano
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by tintoverano »

hi Ben,

I was referring to the picture you embedded into your reply

I didn't contact support, because this post was not about the crashes

I had to re-do all channel settings twice after two crashes, when I decided to quit the app before I hit run again and this way I had my settings after the 3rd crash

thanks