long time base only saving 1 waveform

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

long time base only saving 1 waveform

Post by picowight »

Version 7.0.72.8244 (in case it's been fixed already)WIN 10
Working on an old Mazda today - following the directions here https://www.picoauto.com/library/automo ... 5-pin-dlc/ but not having it do the set up.
using 20v and a 10s/div Timebase I recorded 3 screens of waveform stopped and saved but it only saved a single (last screen). Tried again with the same result in that it would re-load the screen but the waveform count only reads 1. In the end I just had to save the 1 screen (which I now need to try and interpret - though I note that the ECU gnd seems to be less than stellar!)
Tried to add but the single screen file is 127MB!! :shock:
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-07-21 17-58-39.png
Screenshot from 2021-07-21 18-18-23.png

krabkakes
OneWave
OneWave

Re: long time base only saving 1 waveform

Post by krabkakes »

Hey Wight,

The newest Automotive PicoScopes (like the 4425A) saves up-to 250 million samples in the buffer memory.

Your current recording is set to sample 2.5 million times per second, for 100 seconds (10s/div). That equals 250 million samples.

This is why it's only saving one buffer. You've reached the maximum samples that the PicoScope can store in it's buffer memory.

To record more buffers, you'd need to lower the sample rate.

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Thanks @krabkakes That explains it along with the 127Mb file size.
- I am guessing this is an unintended consequence of the new "sampling mode priority" default setting. Pico 6 would have reduced the sample rate to match the memory as it was not an option.
Maybe an auto setting that adjusts to give the sample rate that will allow the 32 frames.
I'll know for the next old car.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you for the posts and feedback re "Maybe an auto setting that adjusts to give the sample rate that will allow the 32 frames."

I have added a new request feature to include "Target number of buffers" based on either Buffer Memory or Sample Rate as your priority

We discuss new feature requests every 2 weeks and triage accordingly

Thank you again and please remember you can feedback directly within PS7

Click on More > Send Feedback within PS7 software as we hope to capture feedback whilst PS7 is in use and fresh in the mind of the user

Take care.....Steve

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Thanks Steve - though without the explanation above that it was effectively user error, I'd have reported it as a bug!
If I had 20s /div or more, would the capture have stopped halfway through the screen - it appears so from the demo.
Slightly related I'm not sure how big the "gap" between buffer screens is, would I have captured the full set of error codes, bearing in mind a "1" is 400ms ?