Distributerless Power & Waste Split Screen Scope

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
samjesse
OneWave
OneWave

Distributerless Power & Waste Split Screen Scope

Post by samjesse »

Hi
Are there scopes that display the secondary ignition pattern (with waste spark) which provide a split screen showing the power spark in one and the waste spark in another "under each other" at the same vertical line for easy of reading?

I have pico scope model 4423 running software version 6.14.25, will that do it, or I need another software or/and hardware?

Thank you

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Distributerless Power & Waste Split Screen Scope

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

PicoScope 6 can present multiple views but I will use PS7 which you can download here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download to demonstrate our options

Using the Views tool you can "Auto arrange" the axis of 4 channels as below where we have 4 x secondary ignition events from a wasted spark ignition system
Image 1
Image 1
You can also use View per channel where you can take advantage of individual measurement controls for each view
Image 2
Image 2
In addition to View per channel you can then drag these viewports to suit your screen size or desired preference
Image 3
Image 3
Using zoom you can then focus on each chosen ignition event in greater detail
Image 4
Image 4
Using a trigger on number 1 secondary ignition signal will help to stabilize the view whilst also provide the relevant synchronization from which to "time" and identify additional ignition events

More information and videos on the various viewing modes can be found here topic22097.html

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

Grant_Baker
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Distributerless Power & Waste Split Screen Scope

Post by Grant_Baker »

Steve, thanks for the viewports ideas. I will give those methods a try.

samjesse, looks like Steve's suggestion will work depending on how many cylinders you need to capture. I was going to suggest the Pico Mixmaster PP361 with 3 channels deployed: CHA with an inductive sync probe or MI074 Secondary 10,000:1 lead; CHB connected to positive firing events; CHC connected to negative firing events(inverted). The number of MI074's needed depends on the number of cylinders.

https://www.autonerdz.com/mixmaster.htm