Komatsu Engine Fan Control

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix Heavy Duty and Off Highway machinery here
ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Komatsu Engine Fan Control

Post by ben.martins »

Hello all,

Hope all are well and staying safe.

I've recently been out to look at a little 13T Komatsu and found a controlled engine fan. I've only ever seen these present on HGV's which are prone to failure but this is the first time I've seen it on an excavator.
20210407_160314.jpg
20210407_161441.jpg
This machine had a DTC for no engine fan speed and breaking out the connector with the 8 channel, there wasn't an awful lot to go.
Engine Fan.png
I was wondering if anyone out there had any other information about how this engine fans operate and even better a capture of a known good. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards

Ben

muttnjeff
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Komatsu Engine Fan Control

Post by muttnjeff »

Any idea what company manufactures the clutch?
and what are HGVs?
Not familiar with the acronym..

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

HGV. Heavy Goods Vehicle ie lorry or truck. :wink:

muttnjeff
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by muttnjeff »

Ahhhh, semi's or straight trucks... Figured it was something like that.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Sorry muttnjeff!!! And thanks Kev for clarifying!!

I don't know the manufacturer unfortunately as we were being rushed off site. The ones in the semis or HGVs were generally made by BorgWarner which were labelled Visctronic
https://youtu.be/VxjfuJi4IUs

I'll see if I can find out more from a Komatsu part catalog.

Kind regards

Ben

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Ben,

As per usual I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and have zero knowledge or experience of Tonka toys (sorry muttnjeff you may not have them in your neck of the woods!)

However I did find this pdf that may be of use to you although I am sure you probably know most of it already... https://home.komatsu/en/company/tech-in ... 9-03_E.PDF

Kev.

muttnjeff
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by muttnjeff »

PicoKev wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:04 pm
Ben,

As per usual I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and have zero knowledge or experience of Tonka toys (sorry muttnjeff you may not have them in your neck of the woods!)
Picokev, no problem we do have tonkas, HGVs, semi’s and probably a whole lot more than I’m aware of... it those acronyms that trip me up..

Cheers!

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Tonka.png

muttnjeff
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by muttnjeff »

ben.martins wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:46 pm

I don't know the manufacturer unfortunately as we were being rushed off site. The ones in the semis or HGVs were generally made by BorgWarner which were labelled Visctronic
https://youtu.be/VxjfuJi4IUs

I'll see if I can find out more from a Komatsu part catalog.

Kind regards

Ben

Attached a couple vistronic docs, from off road equipment..

I don't think the operation and or logic differs much from the different OEs as the fans function has the same purpose no matter what type of machine its in.

I am going to assume the fan is "locked" on? since you didn't mention it was overheating... If thats the case I would be looking to make sure no other inputs are requesting the clutch to lockup i.e., A/C, engine temps, etc. from there sort out which wires are power, ground, control, you very well could have a bad clutch..

Pinout
Pinout
Operation / Description
Operation / Description

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Thanks Kev for the link although I couldn't open it?

Thank you also Muttnjeff, as this certainly looks very similar! I believe they fail safe in locked up condition in order to prevent overheating. There was a fault code for this fan control but from the scope capture not a lot is happening so it might be the solenoid has shorted meaning the ECM can't control the PWM signal. I'd like to go back to the machine but not sure what the owners are going to do with it due to a number of other issues with the machine which are looking like a new machine ECU.

Watch this space and all will become clear. Thanks again all for your help so far.

Kind regards

Ben