Waveforms of my vehicle for future use

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
masster

Waveforms of my vehicle for future use

Post by masster »

Hi
I have a 2015 VW Tiguan 90 kW (CAXA engine code) on petrol (58,000 km).
Since my car is working fine now, I would like to record a comprehensive set of waveforms so that in case of any malfunction I would have a reference to compare with. I would also upload them to Pico Waveform Library for other car owners.

My question is: is there a list of all waveforms I should record?

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Waveforms of my vehicle for future use

Post by PicoKev »

Hi masster,

There is no formal list that I am aware of. However the possibilities are limited only by the vehicle in question your equipment and ones imagination. :wink:
Probably the most commonly requested WF is Cam and Crank but depending on whether you have a WPS500 or a First Look you could add in cylinder and or intake / exhaust pulsations to the capture.

Absolutely any electrical component on the vehicle can be measured in power up and or working state.
I could go on for hours...... :roll:

The main thing I would say is not to use PS7 for captures you want to save to the WFL as it is still in Beta and there is still no provision for channel labels (Anyone in the software development team listening?). PS6 is much better!!!

You will do your fellow techs and owners a great service by filling in all the vehicle details and give all the info you can about test conditions, pin numbers, wire colours etc.

Happy scoping and I must say thank you for your altruistic notions toward others.

Kev.

masster

Re: Waveforms of my vehicle for future use

Post by masster »

I have the PICO Master Kit.
i could record the waveforms for every sensor at idle. Yet my intuition tells me that some sensors should be recorded in sync with others (like cam and crank).
I think a much better approach would be to have a table with a generic list of SYMPTOMS in the first column followed by the relevant waveform(s) for a proper diagnose. I hope there is a FINITE list of generic symptoms.
What do you think?