Hard start / long crank Range Rover Evoque 2020 2.0 Ingenium Diesel

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
g-makin

Hard start / long crank Range Rover Evoque 2020 2.0 Ingenium Diesel

Post by g-makin »

hello,
Hopefully one of the more experienced Pico experts can assist with this vehicle that is causing me some serious pain!
Vehicle intermittently struggles to start, it cranks fine but does not start up - worse when left stood.
It has no lack of power concerns and no fault codes are logging.
When the vehicle struggles to start it does not build rail pressure, I have confirmed low pressure within spec at 4.8 bar and no air ingress ( clear fuel pipe inline with the fuel gauge )
The history of the vehicle is that it has had a new HPI pump Injectors and low pressure fuel pump including all pipe work due to brass fillings in the fuel system - it did have this issue before all these components were replaced.
I have attached a trace of the vehicle faulting, one thing i did notice was that the PCV PWM seems to not be very square when cranking until the vehicle eventually starts then it squares off, the VCV looks much better but this may just be because the battery positive is dropping during the cranking, although they both share a supply via a splice joint and a fuse in the battery junction box.
Any input would be much appreciated.
Attachments
long crank ingenium.png
pcv ( green ) vcv ( red )  fault.png

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Hard start / long crank Range Rover Evoque 2020 2.0 Ingenium Diesel

Post by picowight »

Difficult to see but the Pressure Control Valve looks like is not being pulled to earth, keeping it open until possibly the ECU spots the problem and uses the VCV to compensate.

Kudugar
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Hard start / long crank Range Rover Evoque 2020 2.0 Ingenium Diesel

Post by Kudugar »

hi g-makin, has this problem been resolved yet, as i have freelander 2 2.2 diesel, currently awaiting in cylinder comp test as i also gone through same process. mine has timing problem but exact same symptoms, but no start condition, in progress. it does build upto 23000kpa but only after 20 seconds cranking.