Custom Probe for RPM clamp from Fluke 88 Auto Meter

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
Furtmair Auto
OneWave
OneWave

Custom Probe for RPM clamp from Fluke 88 Auto Meter

Post by Furtmair Auto »

Dear Pico friends:
I have from my FLUKE 88 Automotive Meter an RPM clamp for the "conventional" sparkplug wire.
Does anybody know how to make a Custom Probe for PICO 6 and/or 7?

I hooked up the the RPM clamp to + and - on the Pico at 12 Volts and get like a secondary pattern, but I can't figure out how to convert it to RPM, or do I have to go into the math channel?
Fluke 88 connects the rpm to the DC-Volt with the conversion @ the 'blue' RPM button.
If someone has a file and is willing to share please e-mail too: fast@furtmair.com

Thanks in advance,

Uli
Furtmair Auto Services Inc.
51 Bridge Street East
Kitchener, Ontario
N2K 1J7 - CANADA

E-Mail: fast@furtmair.com
Web-site: http://www.furtmair.com

Phone: {001} (519) 576-9972

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Custom Probe for RPM clamp from Fluke 88 Auto Meter

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

I am not familiar with the Fluke RPM probe but this would appear to be an inductive style pick up terminated in 4mm banana connectors for HT leads

You can connect this device to a PicoScope via our conversation adapter here https://www.picoauto.com/products/clips ... mm-adapter

Reading your post, I was not sure how 12 Volts was relevant (Forgive me here)
“I hooked up the the RPM clamp to + and - on the Pico at 12 Volts and get like a secondary pattern”

Given this is an inductive pick (to be attached to an HT cable) it may be heavily attenuated and to create a custom probe we need this attenuation value.

It is great news you can see a secondary ignition pattern as the device would appear to be functioning as intended.

In order to obtain engine speed, you will need to create a math channel.
We have discussed something similar here viewtopic.php?p=97581#p97581 that I hope will help

Depending on the output, gain and shielding of the RPM probe, using maths maybe tricky and you will have to amend the formulas depending on a number of factors such as "style" of ignition system, cylinder count and probe noise levels.

Using the Crank math channel would quicker if your vehicles utilise these sensors

I hope this helps, take care……Steve

Furtmair Auto
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Custom Probe for RPM clamp from Fluke 88 Auto Meter

Post by Furtmair Auto »

pick # of cylinders, put sec. clamp on coil wire and here is the RPM displayed.

Please help
Thanks
Uli
-->
Hi Steve:
Thanks for your reply, but I can't figure it out.
Long story short: I have a "MM-Adapter" and that what is used!

Fine I tried it now: With the PICO AUTO-PROBE MI074 can generate same signal as with the FLUKE-Clamp.
Regardless, I can't figure out how I get a RPM reading with the PICO MI074 (or Fluke).
Please send me math formula.

I actually use my old wall size Allen Comp Center to get rpm. --> pick # of cylinders, put sec. clamp on coil wire and here is the RPM displayed.

Please help
Thanks
Uli