Trouble opening files saved in Pico6 with Pico6 after Pico7 installed on Windows 7 laptop?

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
DougS055
OneWave
OneWave

Trouble opening files saved in Pico6 with Pico6 after Pico7 installed on Windows 7 laptop?

Post by DougS055 »

I don't know if anyone has experienced this, but I have saved a fairly sizable number of waveforms in Pico 6 on my Windows 7 laptop I use with my Picoscope. The problem is, if I try to open them with Pico6, it has to be done within the Picoscope 6 program. I am unable to right click on the waveform and open them with Pico6 as it isn't an option to open the files anymore. I do have Picoscope 7 installed on the same laptop and it seems to have taken over as the only choice available to open these waveforms. :shock: :? A little assistance would be very helpful! I have attached 2 screen shots of the laptop files and "open with" programs available.
Thank you for your time,
Doug Saros
Everett, WA
Attachments
ScreenHunter_136 Dec. 15 19.49.jpg
ScreenHunter_135 Dec. 15 19.45.jpg
ScreenHunter_135 Dec. 15 19.45.jpg

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Trouble opening files saved in Pico6 with Pico6 after Pico7 installed on Windows 7 laptop?

Post by liviu2004 »

Nothing stops you to browse from open with, and select pico 6 executable.

DougS055
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Trouble opening files saved in Pico6 with Pico6 after Pico7 installed on Windows 7 laptop?

Post by DougS055 »

liviu2004 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:22 am
Nothing stops you to browse from open with, and select pico 6 executable.
That would be true if when I did browse the "open with" dialogue and select picoscope6.exe, it would now populate that said dialogue box. It didn't, so I came up with my own "fix" of sorts. I uninstalled Picoscope7 software and did a repair on Picoscope6. After that, I attempted to open the files that I knew were made / saved in Pico7 with Pico6 software. That worked. Now, I just have Picoscope6 software installed on my laptop used most frequently. It now works as it had previously. :?: :idea: Is there a way to change the suffix on the Picoscope7 files to, say, .psd1 to differentiate them from Picoscope6 and .psd files? That way, maybe, I can reduce the confusion between Picoscope6 and Picoscope7 software opening the wrong files.
Thank you,
Doug Saros

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Doug and Liviu, thank you for the posts

We should be able to choose the desired application to open psdata files (either PS6 or PS7)

Having to uninstall PS7 is disappointing given the features that are included and new features to come

I will run this by the software team and feedback ASAP so you can have both PS6 & PS7 installed on your machine and work seamlessly between both

Take care...Steve

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Win 7 x64 here, ps6 and ps7, never had a problem running both.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for your patience on this one

Unfortunately I am now experiencing a similar problem

I can open a PS7 file using PS6 but I must open PS6 first and then select File>Open

The "Open with" option does not appear to present PS6 as an option (I am using Windows 10)

I have attached a short video on how to use the "File Properties" feature of Windows to ensure you open all psdata files with PS6, however it does not seem to retain the setting
OPENS WITH.mp4
Video 1
(3.08 MiB) Downloaded 399 times
Rest assured we will resolve this issue for you ASAP

Thank you once again for your patience, take care....Steve

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Hi Steve, it will change the defaults if done in Settings Default Apps by file type.
Attachments
default 1.PNG