Detection feature - 4425a (PS7)

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
aguilarpro

Detection feature - 4425a (PS7)

Post by aguilarpro »

Sometimes I don't look at where the probe should go and I just randomly connect them hoping that it would detect and change the colors on the software but it doesn't, it detects it on the scope and lights up the actual color of the attached wire but it doesn't update it on the software. Is this a normal behavior or is there something wrong with my scope? The colors appear to be correct only if you plug them where they are labeled already which is useless in my opinion since that can be done with any previous scope, the idea was to have the scope update the actual lead being used.
Thanks!

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Detection feature - 4425a (PS7)

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

I would like to clarify the items you mentioned above so I can help.

I am using the latest generic build of PS7 7.0.62.7263 and I have loaded as psdata file that was saved using a BNC+ resistance probe.

In my example below I have saved a psdata file using the BNC+ resistance lead
Image 1
Image 1
The LED’s at the front of the scope indicate the channel colors only as no probe is connected at this stage. If I try to run the scope with no probes connected, I receive the Probe Mismatch dialogue box informing of incompatibility between the loaded psdata file (saved with a BNC+ probe) and the current set up of the scope (i.e., no probe connected) At this stage the Probe Expected was a BNC+ resistance probe, the Probe Found was x1 (i.e., default probe for no probe connected)
Image 2
Image 2
If I now connect a BNC+ 60 A current clamp to channel A instead of the expect probe (BNC+ resistance lead) the LED’s at the front of the scope illuminate blue and yellow as these are the shell colors of the connected BNC+ 60 A current clamp. The probe mismatch dialogue box will then update informing of the incompatible probe connected. (see image below)
Image 3
Image 3
If I now connect the correct BNC+ probe (resistance lead) as indicated in the probe mismatch dialogue box (Probe expected) the probe mismatch dialogue box will clear and the scope will run automatically as your “Probe Expected” matches your connected probe (Probe found)

N.B Upon connection of the BNC+ resistance lead to channel A, the LED’s at the front of the scope (surrounding channel A) indicate blue at the top right hand corner to inform the user channel A is a blue channel, and the remaining LED’s surrounding channel A will illuminate green and yellow as these are the shell colors of the connected BNC+ resistance lead

The above is normal behavior and I hope goes someway to assisting with how the probe mismatch feature interfaces with the user.

Please forgive any misinterpretation of your post and if you were expecting a different behavior from the scope and software please feedback when you can as your input has direct influence upon the development of PS7

I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

aguilarpro

Post by aguilarpro »

I think you went a bit over form what I was asking which is great. I just wanted to know if it was normal for the leads to remain the same color on the software even if I connected the blue, yellow, red or green. I can see the hardware led illuminates the actual probe connected, for example the first is blue and if I connect the red one there, blue is lit on the upper side and red is lit in the middle, belly of the BNC+ but no matter what I connect the that one plug, the color on the software is always blue. Is there a way to enable updating the color attached on the software or my scope is not working properly, that's what I wanted to know. Thank you!

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the feedback, I have got it now.

Your scope is functioning normally which is great news:

Channel A Blue, Channel B Red, Channel C Green, & Channel D Yellow.

This configuration will not change, regardless of whichever probe you connect to the front panel of the scope

In the future, there may well be the option to customize channel colors (as with PS6) but these colors would still remain to their assigned channels.(Regardless of probe connected)

Whilst the scope is functioning normally, it is not functioning as you would like and this is why feedback is invaluable.

I will create a New Feature Request for the software team to review and triage accordingly regarding your suggestion.

I do have concerns however when it comes to file sharing and especially the waveform library.

Let's say for example you have connected a Red BNC+ x1 Test lead to Channel A of your 4425A which is always Blue within the software.

If the software then changed Channel A to red instead of blue, this is great at the time of measurement and for ease of use. However, if you save and share the file (e.g., waveform library) anyone opening the file may misinterpret the displayed red channel for Channel B or, indeed become confused as to why Channel A is red and not blue (Especially owners of the previous generation of PicoScopes)

From a technician perspective I am a big fan of keeping variables to a minimum, especially during diagnosis

I hope this helps and rest assured your suggestion will be discussed along with the implications for other users

Take care...Steve