New user help please

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Andy4k6

New user help please

Post by Andy4k6 »

Hi All,

I am new to oscilloscope use and have just purchased a used 4423 which I am using to learn with.

I have been doing some practice today just trying to get myself upto speed and try and put some of what I have learnt into practice.

I was using my own car for testing ( An 06 Saab 93 2.8T V6 ).

I spent some time looking at injectors and fuel pressure etc which I had no trouble with, however the issue came when looking at my coils.

When doing the testing of any of the front bank ( rear are in a hole far too dark to play with) I got wave forms as attached.

The coils are 4 wire coils however there are 2 earth's ( no idea why, is that normal or for a purpose?) One 12v feed and a trigger.

The blue trace was attached to the trigger and the red trace was a non pico COP tester which I had been loaned.

I was expecting to see traces as are seen on the primary and secondary waveforms on the how to section but my traces just don't look right?

Could anybody please explain what I have done wrong and why my traces don't look like the how to?

Many thanks
Attachments
20201212_124230.jpg
20201212_124233.jpg

Andy4k6

Re: New user help please

Post by Andy4k6 »

A little more research and I have found part of the answer myself.

If anyone finds this thread looking for information I recommend taking a look at the following video.

https://youtu.be/Nq-54h7z9uU

It doesn't explain why I have 2 wires going directly to earth or why my trace with the cop probe looks wrong ( to me)

Amy advise greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Stop using triggers. Ramp up sampling. Zoom in where you got the trigger now. Zoom zoom.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts

As a new user you will find PicoScope 7 will help with settings and user functions.

Could you try PS7 here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download and the Guided Tests for Ignition as these will help you get started

Please be aware your COP probe will have different performance characteristics to the Pico device and may therefore demonstrate a different response to the example waveform in our Guided Tests

Regarding the additional grounding around the coils, looking at the wiring diagram this could be for fail safe and or additional shielding. One ground wire provides the necessary ground reference for the coil pack whilst the other provides a back up, additional shielding or increased load capabilities (assuming the power supply cable has sufficient cross sectional area)

I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Andy, have you seen this?
https://youtu.be/qigPCnNwf7A

Andy4k6

Post by Andy4k6 »

Hi All,

Iiviu2004 - I would have normally zoomed in somewhat but I was just capturing and watching the traces live without pausing and going back to them, I also increased the size for simplicity of the photo.
I must admit I could use some practice with the zoom feature and will have a good play with it.

No I have not seen that video, I will take a look at it later tonight or over the next few days, thank you.

Steve

I have now downloaded Pico 7 and and I will give it a try, I did some training with Frank Massey a few months ago and he was using the Pico 6 so I continued with this as it is what I am familiar with. I'm hoping to get back into my friends workshop at the weekend and will see how I get on, Thanks.

The update on the possible dual earth is a help too, I didn't look at the wiring diagram until I got home after I had been playing, it did confuse me a fair amount when I was testing.

Also I was expecting to see traces like can be seen in the link below using the non pico COP probe but I will have to see if I can borrow a genuine one from my boss and see if that corrects it.

https://www.picoauto.com/library/automo ... secondary/

Many thanks for all your help.

Andy

Andy4k6

Post by Andy4k6 »

Duplicate post