Editing the waveform?

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Editing the waveform?

Post by martinr »

Did I read somewhere that there is (or will be) a feature to allow highlighting parts of the waveform and then deleting that section? I think I must be mistaken because this would create null data and discontinuities which could really mess up maths channels, unless it were possible to set maths channels to operate only on data within specified boundaries of a waveform eg within cursors, in which case, there’d be no need to snip out the start and end of the original waveform.

I’m thinking of an occasion when I might want to plot Channel A against Channel B, say, using maths channels but might want to edit out the start and end of the original waveform capture in the time domain, to remove starting and finishing anomalies.

I think I may well be getting mixed up with watching or reading something Steve did, possibly in NVH. In any case, careful choice of the timebase such that the buffered waveform contains the whole area of interest, and only that data, would achieve the desired effect.

Certainly, I can’t find any mention of editing waveforms in the latest changelog or in web searches.

martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Editing the waveform?

Post by martinr »

martinr wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:43 pm
Did I read somewhere that there is (or will be) a feature to allow highlighting parts of the waveform and then deleting that section? I think I must be mistaken because this would create null data and discontinuities which could really mess up maths channels, unless it were possible to set maths channels to operate only on data within specified boundaries of a waveform eg within cursors, in which case, there’d be no need to snip out the start and end of the original waveform.

I’m thinking of an occasion when I might want to plot Channel A against Channel B, say, using maths channels but might want to edit out the start and end of the original waveform capture in the time domain, to remove starting and finishing anomalies.

I think I may well be getting mixed up with watching or reading something Steve did, possibly in NVH. In any case, the desired effect could be achieved by careful choice of the timebase and a few practice runs to ensure that the buffered waveform contains the whole range of interest - and only that data - of the A and B variables.

Certainly, I can’t find any mention of editing waveforms in the latest changelog or in web searches.

martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by martinr »

This reply posted in error

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hi Martin I hope you are well and thank you for the post

Deleting sections of the waveforms is not an active feature at this point in time other than hiding channels or zooming on the area of interest

I can see the havoc caused for other channels such as math’s when deleting a section of the original waveform upon which the math is calculated.

With that said, it could function like filtering does at present but its food for thought

I like the idea of math’s between the rulers as this would remove a lot of nuisance data as you describe (Start and end of captures) I will add a new feature request

Plotting channel, A against B can be done using the XY view (Add View) of PicoScope 6 or by right clicking in the graph view and choosing the desired X axis of choice (The default is “Time”)
Image 1
Image 1
The following forum post looks at using the X Axis as Time*frequency topic22201.html

As you mentioned Martin, settings and having the required data in one buffer is a great help with such captures

I hope this helps, take care……Steve

martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by martinr »

Many thanks for putting in a feature request for Maths Channels between rulers, that really would be good. A couple of years ago you had to put me right when I ran into problems trying to differentiate or integrate - may well have been both - because of ares of the waveform with no data. Maths Channels between rulers would have been excellent back then.

Many thanks for your reply; it certainly does help!

Best wishes, Steve.