SDK for Pico 7 Automotive?

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
jamesmentele

SDK for Pico 7 Automotive?

Post by jamesmentele »

Is there a new SDK for Pico 7 Auto that will replace the SDK we have been using with Pico 6 Automotive? We are using SDK version v.2.1.22 from some years back but find that the SDK does not seem to work with the beta Pico 7 Auto. It looks like the SDK is a wrapper around a static DLL. (Now I am over my knowledge on the interface.)

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: SDK for Pico 7 Automotive?

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post.

At present, there is no Software Development Kit (SDK) for PS7

We do have fortnightly Triage meetings regarding PS7 and customer feedback/new feature requests

I will add your request to the feedback system and it will be highlighted at the next meeting where I hope we can either allocate the development work involved or, "queue" the work for the appropriate team

This however may not be soon as parity between PS6 and PS7 remains the priority

I hope this helps and thank you for the post once again

Take care……Steve

jamesmentele

Post by jamesmentele »

Hi Peter, thank you for the quick response. We would not be able to continue selling our software (and Pico Automotive 7 scopes) without a similar functioning SDK.
We have a second application that involves 'console mode' running of Pico 6 that we hope will be improved with Pico 7. All we do with this second application is convert psdata files to csv's for statistical and neural network analysis/modeling. We run the conversion in a batch process after the data is automatically received from a PC. If the server is restarted, that shuts down the 'console mode' until a human restarts it using a ‘remote desktop’ under a real user id/password. It then runs as long as the session is running. The service we provide takes about a minute - except for these occasional failures. Then it depends on the time of day, availability of someone authorized to restart the process. The application is used globally, so it might be hours in some cases. Any chance Pico 7 could provide a method to execute the conversion of a psdata file to CSV format that does not require the console mode?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the feedback

Pico Automotive scopes run both PS6 & PS7 and so for your existing application, you can run a previous automotive scope and the current 4x25A models with PS6.

This will ensure the services you provide will remain operational until the SDK option is available for PS7.
Please could you download PicoSDK version 10.7.18 which can be found here https://www.picotech.com/downloads and will allow for auto scope functionality with PS6

I like the feature of auto conversion of psdata to CSV, once again I will add this as a New Feature Request whilst also revisiting your initial SDK request I created on Friday.

Our next New Feature Triage meeting is scheduled for the 22nd December and all your feedback will be discussed rest assured

I hope this helps, take care……Steve

jamesmentele

Post by jamesmentele »

Thanks again. Anxiously awaiting the status of the requests... Happy Safe Holidays and Vaccinated New Year!

PicoBarney
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoBarney »

Apologies for pushing my nose in here...

Am just wondering whether we possibly have some wires crossed?

The SDK is independent of PS6 and PS7 and only provides a programming interface to the scope hardware/driver. You will need the correct SDK for your intended app architecture. The latest versions are here:
- 32-bit version (https://www.picotech.com/downloads/_lig ... kit-32-bit)
- 64-bit version (https://www.picotech.com/downloads/_lig ... -kit-64bit). These versions will support the Automotive 4x25 and 4x25A scopes. The PicoScope 4000 Series (A API) Programmer's Guide - https://www.picotech.com/download/manua ... -guide.pdf" - will give you the info you need.

Around the SDK we also provide wrappers (see the GitHub link on the above linked download pages) which provide convenient driver API methods for various languages such as Python and MATLAB etc. Generally, these are device specific so you will need to look up the requirements for your device (e.g. 4000a versions for the Automotive 4x25 and 4x25A scopes).

In addition, we also have the PS6 Command Line Interface (CLI) which is tied to that version of the software and provides some degree of automation of its UI.

We don't currently have a CLI implemented for PS7 but you are free to continue using PS6.

Hope that helps.
Barney

jamesmentele

Post by jamesmentele »

Hi Peter,
Just wondering if there is an update to my request for a simple process (without requiring ‘console mode’ operation) to automatically convert a psdata file to a .csv file?
This is relative to our Forum conversation in Dec 12-14, 2020.
Your response was: “I like the feature of auto conversion of psdata to CSV, once again I will add this as a New Feature Request whilst also revisiting your initial SDK request I created on Friday.
Our next New Feature Triage meeting is scheduled for the 22nd December and all your feedback will be discussed rest assured”
Thank you for your consideration.
James Mentele

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello James, sorry for my late reply

Sorry again as I have no news at present.

This looks to be moving towards "Automation API for PS7" which is a future project not yet scheduled for development

As a result, I could not provide any estimate of time when such an option would be available

I am not sure this is of any help to you but I do not want you to think this could be just around the corner

Take care.....Steve