2011 Mazda 3 2.0 U0101

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
kicksbutt
OneWave
OneWave

2011 Mazda 3 2.0 U0101

Post by kicksbutt »

Hey any Mazda Gurus on here? I have a 2011 Mazda 2.0 3 with a code of U0101 Loss of communication with TCM. Alldata doesn't have much in way of information. At least that I can find. I scoped the CAN that looked good I inspected the wiring and connectors. That all looks good. I did pull tests and wiggle test. Nothing found there appears to be a fairly common issue with the TCM and replacement is what is called for. Does anyone have any more information or testing procedures? Like to try and test a bit more before throwing a TCM at it. Thanks all

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: 2011 Mazda 3 2.0 U0101

Post by ben.martins »

Hi kicksbutt,

Thank you for your post and sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this.

I just need to check something with you as the title of the post suggests the vehicle is a Mazda 3 but in the text you have referred to the vehicle as a Mazda 2?

A must in any situation is get hold of a decent wiring diagram and if possible a topology of the CAN network. Mazda are usually very good at the topology diagrams as seen in the communication case study we have on the website - https://www.picoauto.com/library/case-s ... ions-fault. Alldata always had a pretty decent coverage for Mazda but if you need something I would use the info centre to get the information you need. If not then head to the Mazda technical information site and get an access token to get the correct diagrams.

You have mentioned a loss of comms with the TCM. Which ECU or ECU's are reporting this? Typically there wouldn't just be one unless there is an extra network connection. These are fairly common as a fail safe to ensure that if the main network went down the engine and gearbox could still communicate. I would be looking at basics before replacing the ECU though, supply and ground are always a must and then check the CAN signals at the TCM to see if the network is making it to the TCM, which you've said looks fine. Is there any chance you could post that capture if you have it?

It's not uncommon for a TCM to go down but I would be double checking my work just to be confident! I never liked replacing an ECU no matter how confident I was!

Hope this helps in some way and keep us posted with how you get on.

Kind regards

Ben