Pico demo trace information

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Andy4k6

Pico demo trace information

Post by Andy4k6 »

Hi All,

I am new to oscilloscopes and I haven't had chance to test my scope with a vehicle yet so
I have been playing with the software using the demo traces as I won't get chance to use my scope with a car until I get to my friends garage on Saturday.

Looking at the traces it appears that the traces are as follows

Channel A injector? ( but why only 3 volts ?)
Channel B Amps clamp measuring whatever Channel A is attached to ( using only 1 amp)
Channel C this looks to be an ignition trace but unsure if it's primary or secondary
Channel D looks to be a crank sensor.

Is anyone able to confirm if I'm correct and if not what the traces are?

Also are there any other demo traces I can use to play with the software?

Many thanks

Andy

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Pico demo trace information

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Andy and thank you for the post

The demo waveforms you mention are as follows:

Channel A Port injection voltage (Please add a x10 attenuator & amend voltage to +- 100 V )
Channel B Port injector current (Please select a 30 A current clamp and amend the current to +- 2 A)
Channel C Primary ignition (Please add a x10 attenuator & amend the voltage to +- 400 V)
Channel D Inductive crankshaft sensor

Using Picoscope 6 Automotive you can change the demo signal order and associated engine speed (See below)
Image 1
Image 1
If you wish to view more waveforms I recommend using PicoScope 7 Automotive software which you can download here https://oem.picoauto.com/p7beta/download

Once downloaded and opened, you are presented with the Guided Tests that contain over 150 example waveforms from multiple sensors and actuators.

Please take a look at Actuators>Injectors (gasoline)>Multi-point injection-injection current where the example waveform confirms peak current of such an injector at approx. 634 mA (See below)
Image 2
Image 2
Here you can then use multiple features of PS7 that will help familiarize the waveform analysis controls

I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

Andy4k6

Post by Andy4k6 »

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your reply.

I can now see where I was going wrong on this one.

I assume that the waveforms shown are all supposed to be correct and without fault?

I was advised to avoid the Pico 7 software while it was still in beta but I will take a look and see how I get on looking at the waveforms.

Many thanks

Andy

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hi Andy thank you for the feedback

The PS6 attenuation settings are incorrect in demo mode, hence the injector voltage (Ch A) at 3 V peak. This version would have originally utiilsed a x20 attenuator (3 V x 20 = 60 V) and I agree, this is confusing if you are not aware of attenuation and how to apply to the signal.

PS7 on the other hand displays the injector voltage signal (Ch A) at the correct voltage level along with the correct input ranges and attenuation settings for the remaining channels (See image below)
Image 1
Image 1
For anyone new to PicoScope, PS7 is the way to go and will have you up and running very quickly indeed.

Whilst PS7 remains in beta form at present, I can assure you it is stable for diagnostic use and is now my go-to software for capturing data.

I do use PS6 for the missing features such as Masks, Deep Measure and of course the Waveform Library, but with that said I would prefer you start & practice with PS7

I hope this helps, take care…….Steve