Checking Automotive CAN-BUS with Picoscope 2205A

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
HJAN

Checking Automotive CAN-BUS with Picoscope 2205A

Post by HJAN »

Dear all.

Good morning.

I hope that this e-mail finds you all in good health.

I have recently acquired a picoscope 2205A (invoice 133818) with the intend to use it also to check F-CAN related troubles like short circuits between canH and canL, between each canH/L and battery positive and between each canH/L and ground.

I have tested in two different vehicles and the only thing I am able to see is a trace showing the average voltage of around 2,5V for canH and for canL.

I have connected the oscilloscope probes in the DLC pins, in the corresponding positions for canH and canL and also used the ground connection at the DLC as common ground for both channels A and B.

I have checked with the same leads the battery voltage and compared with the readings I obtained from my multimeter and the readings are consistent, so the integrity of the leads and of the oscilloscope is confirmed in my opinion.

So, right now I am left with two open possible concerns:

1) I am not configuring properly the software?

The configuration I have tried is as follows, after having seen in YouTube people successfully obtaining can-bus traces:

Range: +/- 10V and +/- 5V

Samplerate: 2MS and 8KS

Timebase: 200ms/div and 100ms/div

In both vehicles I tested with ignition ON both channels trace moves from about 0V to about 2,5V and it stays in this flat line (like a multimeter showing the average voltage instead of the can-bus expected profile).

The leads I am using are making good contact in the dlc: when I move them to pin16 and maintain my ground connection I get the expected battery voltage.

2) there is perhaps a bug in the software?

I don’t have an older version of the software. I tried both the stable version and beta version and both seem to show the same behavior.

So, I really need your Support on this one.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

With my best regards
Henrique Neto

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Checking Automotive CAN-BUS with Picoscope 2205A

Post by liviu2004 »

You forgot one small detail. What car are we talking about and is there a gateway fitted in it?