Scanning Through Possible Devices

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
MarkMcVea

Scanning Through Possible Devices

Post by MarkMcVea »

When I start PICO for a new NVH test, it scans through all the connection devices I have (GM GDS 2, Ford FVM, etc.) and I have to cancel each one individually to finally get to the Mongoose OBD II connector. Not that I have a lot of connectors to scan through, but the annoying part is that PICO scans through each connector, one each for every time I have used it. Meaning, I have used my GM GDS 2 twenty times, thus PICO requires me to cancel a connection attempt -- 20 times !! Argh !!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Mark

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Scanning Through Possible Devices

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Mark, sorry for the late reply

I have seen your post and support ticket and will respond ASAP tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay, take care......Steve

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Mark sorry for the late reply once again

I have seen a similar symptom when using an additional logger in conjunction with our NVH software. (This is resolved by uninstalling the logger)

Ben has seen such a symptom when VCI Manager software is installed as part of the Ford software package where numerous J2534 devices are installed as part of a suite even though you have just one VCI
The resolution in this scenario was to uninstall the Ford package!

Now, this is OK for us but if uninstalling VCI Manager (and associated programs) renders your Ford FVM inoperative then this is simply unacceptable

The first question Mark, do you use the Ford FVM for serial diagnosis or simply as a pass thru device for NVH? (I am assuming not)

What I would like ask (to prove the point) would you be prepared to uninstall VCI Manager (if applicable) and retest?

If we have seamless operation of NVH at the point of vehicle connection thereafter, we have discovered the cause

If you are uncomfortable about uninstalling any software that may prevent you carrying out your serial diagnostic procedures then please leave everything as it is

The next option would be to obtain a trace file from one such failed connection event where NVH scrolls through numerous interfaces to get to Mongoose

Here I would need you to allow NVH to scroll through all VCI’s as above then when you finally get to Mongoose and connect to the vehicle, close the NVH software.

At this point in time do not restart NVH: locate your Trace file as described in the video below.
PD TRACE FILE LOCATION.mp4
Trace file location
(3.42 MiB) Downloaded 359 times

In the video I refer to Bernhard as this was destined for another customer, however, the content is what is important

If you would rather not post your trace file here, please send to support@picotech.com FAO Steve Smith

I hope this helps Mark and rest assured we will resolve this for you.

Take care…….Steve

MarkMcVea

Post by MarkMcVea »

Steve --

Thanks, this is very helpful. To clarify a few points; I use Ford VCM and GM GDS 2 and other dialogistic tools (although the other tools do not seem to be related to this problem). I am hesitant to remove any other software at this time. I realize that this may be the source of the conflict, etc., but I want to try other possible remedies first. Also to clarify, my final connection for the PICO system is the Mongoose connector as you surmised.

In terms of obtaining and sharing a trace log, I will do that today and post -- IF, you can assure me that there is nothing in the trace log that in any way refers to any of my work or client information.

Thanks for your help and ongoing support.

Mark

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hi Mark, thank you for the feedback and your understanding

The Trace file will reveal your hardware which of course may identify a file name (not applicable here) PC type, operating system, scope model/serial number etc. (which could reveal scope branding if applicable)

To be on the safe side Mark, please send to support@picotech.com and I will feedback here on the outcome of the diagnosis as a result of the trace file contents rather than having the trace file on view

I hope this helps, take care......Steve