Selection of TA398 COP in PS7

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
aritraroy

Selection of TA398 COP in PS7

Post by aritraroy »

Hello there!

I have recently upgraded to Picoscope 4425A with BNC+ and thought of trying the PicoScope 7osftware as well with new hardware. During check, I found that when I connect the TA398 COP, it shows up in autodetect and starts scope in 500mV range. The pattern is only visible when I set voltage base to 5V/Div.
My question is whether the kV range is eliminated in BNC+ and any sort of interpretation to derive the kV is needed from the millivolts?
Also, I'm getting lot of interference when using the PQ070 lead set. Is there any known issues with that?

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Selection of TA398 COP in PS7

Post by ben.martins »

Hello aritraroy,

Thank you for your post and we get many comments on the COP probe now being in millivolts.

The reason is that we cannot use the COP probe to accurately measure kV. The output of the COP probe depends on where the placement of the paddle is and how well insulated the module is. Therefore there is no direct relationship between the actual peak kV reading and what the output of the COP probe is.

The dwell period and burn time signals are still captured though and although the amplitude can not be used accurately, time can be which is just as important. To accurately measure the peak kV you will need to use the Secondary ignition clips and the HT breakout leads if required.

We've not had any issues with the PQ070 set, could I ask you to email in to support@picotech.com with this as they will be able to help you more directly.

Kind regards

Ben