MaxiScope compatibility with Picoscope software

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Abe_Lincoln

MaxiScope compatibility with Picoscope software

Post by Abe_Lincoln »

Hello, my name is David. I am new to this forum.

I've come here to inquire about compatability issues.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I'll spare you the boredom of my life story and jump to my automotive knowledge. I started as a car stereo installer, so I have decent electrical knowledge. I am very experienced with brakes and suspension, thus working at a repair shop that focused only in those areas. I am also a very detail oriented individual, so I always want a repair to be done right the first time. The parts cannon is never the way to go. I have the attitude of Eric O. at South Main Auto. So, now that you know that about me, you also know how many of his videos (and others) that I have watched using the PicoScope software.

With that in mind, I'm very apt of the functions of the software and how to use it. I personally have not used the software with functional PicoScope hardware, simply because I am personally unable to afford the equipment. My boss from my old shop opened his own shop.....I followed him. He bought a scope so that our shop could perform advanced diagnostics.

Here is the problem: the scope that he purchased is not recognized by the PicoScope software. I am a huge fan of the PicoScope equipment. I am also a huge fan of the software.

I would prefer to use Pico software instead of the Maxi junk I am stuck with at the moment.

Here are my details, for tablet, equipment, etc:

Tablet: Logitech Latitude 5285 2-in-1, 12"
PicoScope software version: 6.14.25.5247
Scope: Autel MaxiScope MS408 (4 channel)
USB: Supplied with scope, USB 2.0

This set up is not supported by Pico software. Pico automotive 6 does not recognize the Autel scope. This is the primary issue. I am educated in how to use Pico software.....especially after watching how it is used after watching so many videos. On the download page for the Pico software, it says "compatible with all automotive oscilloscopes". The MaxiScope clearly is an automotive oscilloscope, however it is not recognized by Pico software. I have updated the scope firmware, with no success. Rebooted with no success.

Has anyone else had the same issue and found a solution? I have searched the forums and googled for a related issue, but no success. My best guess at the moment is that perhaps Autel is in direct competition with Pico, and making their hardware incompatible with Pico software is their solution.

Please, if anyone has any insight to my problem, chime in. Personally I plan to obtain Pico equipment, but it is to expensive for my budget at the moment.

Edit: I made a mistake that Pico software accepts all automotive oscilloscopes, and just realized that it says "all automotive PicoScopes". Is there a way to allow my scope to function with this software?

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: MaxiScope compatibility with Picoscope software

Post by liviu2004 »

Hi David, lets talk money. From where are the money coming to pay the salaries of the people making the free software and for their others colleagues as well of course?

Abe_Lincoln

Post by Abe_Lincoln »

I understand the money issue. You aren't answering my question about the issue though. Rather, I feel you are insulting me for coming here to ask a simple question about compatibility.

Nobody has to answer my question if they don't want to, but you decide to reply here to make me feel like a dirtbag.

I am trying to get better in this field, and simple acquisition of expensive scope equipment is not possible for me at this time. If it were up to me, I would buy Picoscope equipment outright.....but it is not my shop.

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

The PicoScope software will only work with our Automotive Scopes, it will not work with third party devices.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Abe_Lincoln

Post by Abe_Lincoln »

Gotcha. Thank you, that is all I needed to know.