Duratorq 2.0 D, FRP sensor 5v ref

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Duratorq 2.0 D, FRP sensor 5v ref

Post by picowight »

06 Jag xtype 2.0 D- Intermittent cut out at load when hot -I wont bore you with the history of parts darts and diag on it.
I backprobed into the +5v ref on the Fuel rail Pressure sensor and held it at high revs for a while (the standard rail pressure test had been nominal), after a short while held at 3.5k with the engine hot I started to see the power appear to drop out. Thinking it had maybe shook the backprobe loose I did it again and got it to repeat - saving it this time. - As I could not get it to do it a 3rd time when probed at the ECU and ran out of time I am now doubting what I saw. :roll:
I will get back to it but would like a second opinion please - dying sensor or bad probe connection ?
Attachments
FP SENSOR POWER.psdata
(83.76 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
5V ref FRP.jpg

muttnjeff
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Duratorq 2.0 D, FRP sensor 5v ref

Post by muttnjeff »

Not familiar with this engine but I would won’t to see the control side of the fuel rail pressure and verify upstream of the sensor is not influencing your trace, I would agree it appears that the signal is dropping out.
Does it have any audible or visual indication of fuel pressure actually dropping out?

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Duratorq 2.0 D, FRP sensor 5v ref

Post by picowight »

Thanks muttnjeff
I felt at the time that the car had started to stumble/missfire when I was seeing the drop outs, but then when i added a probe to the ECU end of the 5v ref wire, when I felt the car stumbled the same I did not see the drops on either channel.- So yes and no!
The fault is intermittent and originally thought random, but now repeatable (faked heavy load driving - low speed, hill, high gear, and thoroughly hot) so that rules out a random dodgy connection. Only after a few hours of heat up did it develop any symptoms stationary - smoke and stumble at high rpm.
There is a good clean 12v PWM signal to the (new) IMV and a current clamp shows draw in line with the control signal.
Going to get the car thoroughly hot and start over on the fuel system tests - starting with that 5v ref for the FRP sensor - if that 5v ref trace is real I've got it - if it was a coincidental loose probe (twice) I haven't :(