PICO SCOPE THRU OBD

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
SKYRACE

PICO SCOPE THRU OBD

Post by SKYRACE »

Good day,
is it possible to use picoscope thru a diagnostic interface to scope sensors that are not accessible such as input shaft speed sensors in a DCT such as the VW 02E and 0AM DSG transmissions?
thank you

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: PICO SCOPE THRU OBD

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post, sorry for the late reply

Forgive my lack of product knowledge here, I assume the input shaft speed sensor reports to a transmission ECU/Controller inside the transmission which then outputs data via CAN?

If this is the case then we cannot access the input shaft speed sensor without dramatic intrusion?

Assuming again (sorry) the Input shaft speed sensor signal is transmitted on the vehicle network via CAN we need to know the relevant ID for the transmission ECU and try to reverse engineer the data packets transmitted with this ID (could be ID’s!)
The technique is described here viewtopic.php?p=99974#p99974 and very long winded indeed

This will allow Pico to grab the data packets and export to Excel where we can graph the input shaft speed (between time rulers) against data captured in the time domain of PicoScope (again exported to Excel) Here we can correlate the two Excel exports based on the position of the time rulers.

If you have an interface that can link to the Network, decode the input shaft speed & output this speed in an analog for then we can use a single channel of PicoScope to display the data. The issue we have here though is time correlation with data we are capturing with the remaining channels of PicoScope!

My next thought, is there access to the pick-up ring/reluctor about the input shaft via a bolt or fill plug (Forgive my lack of product knowledge again)

Here would could try to “sense” the speed using a similar technique applied here viewtopic.php?p=86971#p86971 with an ABS pole ring

Finally, if all else fails, a video screen capture of your serial data/CAN logging software in conjunction with PicoScope may enable you to view/record input shaft speed (captured by third party software) along with your chosen “live” signals using PicoScope

The following link will explain more viewtopic.php?p=100929#p100929

I hope this helps, take care…..Steve