Wiggle test

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Steverider

Wiggle test

Post by Steverider »

Looking at the wiggle test in the waveform library it recommends using the BNC+ resistance probe.
Is it still possible to complete this test using the older 4425 and if so, how/what do you set up and how do you conduct the test.
Thanks

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Wiggle test

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Steve and thank you for the post

With regards to the Wiggle Test I assume we are looking at graphing resistance of a disconnected circuit (i.e. Continuity)
https://www.picoauto.com/news/news-arti ... tance-lead

Whilst the 4425 does not include a resistance lead option you can create such a lead following this link:
viewtopic.php?p=100263#p100263

Alternatively, testing a loaded circuit is far superior and this is where a trigger or a Mask could help.

For example, lets assuming you are monitoring a 12 V Power Supply for "Drop out", we could set a falling edge trigger to capture the momentary event or create a Mask around the 12 V supply whereby any intrusion into the Mask triggers the scope to capture, and if need be, save the data

Ben describes the Mask Technique here viewtopic.php?p=90601#p90601

Trained by Techs also have this covered here https://youtu.be/chEIYcst0A4

I hope this helps, take care.......Steve

Steverider

Re: Wiggle test

Post by Steverider »

Thanks Steve. Yes I'm looking for an intermittent fault on a Honda CRV glow plug circuit that keeps throwing the money light on. There is clearly a problem in the wiring between the control module and the second glow plug but it is difficult to locate exactly where the fault/damage is. Glow time is so short that it is difficult to reproduce the fault under load (voltage drop). A disconnected wire 'wiggle test' measuring resistance will hopefully find it and I was just wondering how to set up the none BNC+ scope.
Thanks again for your support.
Steve H