Interesting Function on another Scope

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Interesting Function on another Scope

Post by Mark Dalton »

I was watching a video on You tube (https://youtu.be/0Apjhg176v4) the other day and the Tech was using another brand of Scope, the scope looks like it has a very interesting function, where it took the crankshaft signal and graphed it's acceleration and deceleration (7:36 & 21:20). I know you can kind of do this with Pico by looking at the frequency of the crank, but this was much clearer than using frequency. I wondered if anyone else had seen this feature before and has tried to replicate it with say, the deep measure feature on Pico?

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Interesting Function on another Scope

Post by Technician »

That might be possible to do on some of the Snap On scopes as they are also PC based with the manufacturer technical data built in.

Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Mark Dalton »

I don't think the Pico could break it down cylinder by cylinder like the tool in the video, but may be you could use a sync from a coil or injector to work it out for yourself from there.

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Hi Mark.

With Pico we can do all of that.

He uses 3 signals there.
Crank with Math Channel for RPM
Ignition from the Coil
Then Cylinder Pressure (WPS)

He is a smart guy and that is a great and informational video.

Steve, Ben, Pico if your reading.

The Cylinder Numbering Feature is cool and very useful.

He does not seem to have the problem with the RPM drop out at the "missing tooth"

Surely these are worthy of going in the "ideas funnel"

Other than that I think that man with his knowledge and experience could have "nailed" that just as well with a Pico Scope.

Perfect example of "Is not all about the Scope & Electronics" A thorough understanding of the Mechanical Function of the Engine & Components is Essential.

Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Mark Dalton »

Hey Iver,
Yeah he uses the 3 different measurements to prove his theory, but it was the fact that the tool seemed to take the Crank reading and "process" it in some way to come up with the graph. I was intrigued about how it might do that.Is it measuring the time between each high/low reading?

Choppered&Whoppered

Post by Choppered&Whoppered »

Try this article: Motor Age Magazine February 2020 page 24. Bernie Thompson spells out this feature and hints at the math behind it.

muttnjeff
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by muttnjeff »

Definitely interesting, I would compare it to or call it ATI version of a cylinder balance test that some OEs have, good test for sure, also there is a method for a running compression test which normally would require a slight rpm increase when each cylinder is measured.

All in all good stuff, I have no doubt pico has the capability,.