Adc212 resurected

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Darren Fraser
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Adc212 resurected

Post by Darren Fraser »

Hi all.
I'm new to the site, and new to the workshop I'm currently engaged with. I recently resurected an ACD212 from the corner of the workshop and started the wonderful journey of scope diagnostics. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or the "old boy" just cannot cut the grade of what I've seen Picoscopes do on line. Obviously I understand I need to upgrade and we will, once this boikie had made us a bit of working capital!

May questions are:

1)There is no buffer feature?
2) The amp clamp set on 20a at the clamp and 20 amps on the screen is critically under reading. I had to switch to 100mV on the screen to read 5 amps.
3) The "meter" display doesn't work with the current clamp?
4) I cannot access the waveform library? It tells me I need the Pico 6 software? Will the latest Pico 6 software work with the ADC212?
5) The capture speed applies to both channels. Does the new scopes permit independent time settings for each channel?

As I said I am well aware of the disadvantages of using an old scope but we are a non profit Organisation here at www.mechanicsforafrica.com and for now we will have to be grateful for what we already have. Having said that I must apologize in advance for any future posts of mine are with this old machine. I am determined to master this equipment and we have to start somewhere..

A great site by the way, and some really awesome people in here! I LOVE the case studies!!!

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Adc212 resurected

Post by PicoKev »

Darren,

Glad you are giving the old girl a buff up with an oily rag and getting scoping.

This brings back memories of buying my First Picoscope, which was a 212, from Alan and his merry band when they were still in Station Road in St Neots.

As soon as the 2000 series scopes came out I upgraded, as I seem to remember, it not only doubled the number of inputs to four it increases the max input Voltage from 20V to 50V?

And I did not need to use a computer with an rs232 port as the 2000 used that new fangled USB gadget. I am assuming that you are using a USB adapter, is it the original Pico model, as I recall that the ones supplied with the scope were modified by Pico and the standard (probably nowadays,Chinesium) models did not work properly!

I doubt there will be much in the way of memory to provide much in the way of a buffer. :cry:

The 212 was a test and measurement scope, in those days there really was not a separate automotive software, looking on the discontinued section of the Pico website https://www.picotech.com/discontinued the last software for that scope is Picoscope 5.21.2 which was released in early 2015.

You cannot use the automotive software with it and therefore you will not be able to gain access to the waveform library as the access requirements are that you will need to be connected to an automotive scope and have a forum account. Only one of which you appear to have.

I honestly cannot remember if the software had built in amps clamps, but either way ignore all that and just set the scope to voltage input and convert to amps via the mV to amp value of the clamp you are using.

As for separate time bases on each channel not a chance have a think about what that entails.....!

I have always said that any scope is better than no scope and I hope you get the senior citizen performing to the best of its ability. Just remember the input voltage limit and remember that even with a 20\1 attenuator attached some components can produce more voltage on the inductive kick than the unit is rated for. :(

Good luck on yours and your students journey.

Kev.

HillVS

Re: Adc212 resurected

Post by HillVS »

Hi,

I too have a adc212 and I have it running on PicoScope automotive 6 beta version but you have to have it on a Windows 7 or 10 32 bit not 64 bit. I have the beta sent over from the technical guys at Pico. I now have access to the waveform library. Would love to upgrade but the current climate it’s just not possible 😔