New member in Nottingham.

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Rhothgar

New member in Nottingham.

Post by Rhothgar »

Good morning,

Have been using the Picoscope for all of one week! So much to learn!

I am new to diagnostics and can already see the power of this as a tool even though I have yet to fix one particularly stubborn common rail diesel project that has seen mice nesting in the car and exposure to rain over several months at the beginning of this year and also a corroded ECU terminal from coolant allegedly tracking back through capillary action and totally corroding one ECU pin!

It's going to be a journey. Not necessarily fun but tests like these never are. At least, I will expand my knowledge many fold in the process so it's a good place to start.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: New member in Nottingham.

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Rhothgar,

Welcome to the forum. As you say this is a journey but one that you don't have to do alone.

We're all here to help and if you need support or guidance then please don't be afraid to ask.

A good place to start is the topic15231.html">Useful Link section. As expected this is where you'll find a long list of useful links!

If you're new to PicoScope then it might be worth making sure you're working with PS7 as this will be the future software. Here is a link to the growing post where there are many resources as to how to navigate the software as well as the improvement when a new version of software is released. topic22097.html

I hope this helps get you started and we look forward to seeing you contribute to the forum.

Kind regards

Ben

Darren Fraser
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Darren Fraser »

Hi Rothgar

I'm also new to the site and oscilliscope diagnostics. I did a bit of scope work back in 2009 but the information that is available through the dedicated work of Pico is far superior to what I experienced back then. This a a great site with really helpful people who share a common passion. You're in the right place to learn. Welcome.....

Rhothgar

Post by Rhothgar »

Thanks Ben. Thanks Darren.

First of all, I should set up email notifications so I can know when someone has replied...

It would be great if there was a resource for test methodology for DTC's and what should be tested in what order.

I did get the project car started and running fine on Sunday in fact. It turned out the ECU was faulty. At least, I learnt how to test every sensor relevant to a non-starter!

Even learnt to ECU skills along the way and transferred an immobiliser chip from the duff ECU to the replacement.

What would be really cool but challenging would be actually being able to diagnose the ECU circuitry. I suspect it was the injector chip a Bosch 30344 IC which was not feeding the 3 of the injectors any power at ignition on.

Interesting, I didn't scope the injectors. I performed a cranking leak-off test which suggested that they were OK. I would have been interesting to learn what readings I would have got from scoping them too.

I still have the duff ECU so when I get some time I will read the immobiliser chip and write it to the duff ECU and then I can use that for testing further.

Rhothgar

Post by Rhothgar »

Thanks Ben. Thanks Darren.

Well that's embarrassing.

I posted a reply to you this morning or so I thought. Probably forgot to click Submit!

Went to log on and find the post only to find I couldn't get into the account. Username doesn't exist.

So created another profile with same Username and introduced myself in a non-ranting, pretty frustrated way on the Picotech Forum only to then find a link to the Picoauto forum!

How embarrassing? It could be more clear though I suppose.

In fact, why are there TWO forums? :lol:

Rhothgar