Help me fix some ones boat.

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Help me fix some ones boat.

Post by Fat Freddy »

Hi. I have had little experience with VW and even less with boats. But some how got involved with a Trophy boat that has a marinised VW 3.0L TDI that is apparently the same as the one out of a Taureg. It just cut out one day and now won't fire.
Story is: No communication with controller 01 using VCDS. Plenty of inputs into ECU and no outputs. Measured rail pressure is 0 Bar but pump is capable of producing about 1800 Bar quickly.
I replaced engine ECU and now have comms. In group 22 during crank I can see 0 Bar pressure. I can also see N276 at 22% duty cycle. No fault codes.
From reading the VW SSP (351?) on this engine, N276 should be holding 80 Bar in the rail. Since I know the pump is capable of producing pressure can I assume N276 and/or an injector/s has excessive leak off. I have looked at the fuel returning from the rail/N276 and it is considerable volume. Would I be correct in thinking there should be no flow from it if the rail pressure is sub 80 Bar?

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Help me fix some ones boat.

Post by Iver »

Correct.

High Pressure fuel pumps are named wrong, Pumps create flow but never pressure.

Restrictions upstream do that

Does this have an IMV and a DRV - Dual Control ?

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Hi Iver
Thanks for the reply. This has a fuel pressure regulator on the rail that I understand should hold 80 Bar, KOEO.
Also a suction control valve on the pump.
My terminology may be wrong. Wings and guards, hoods and bonnets, mufflers and silencers for example.

Way out of my comfort zone on this, but the owner is stuck and knows my knowledge on this is limited. Nearest reputable boat workshop/town is 800 miles away and the dealer for his set up is about 2000 miles as the crow flies.
He has bought another FPR. That's coming from the UK. The cost here was equivalent to 550UKP

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Fixed: (at the mo). Pressure reg fixed the pressure problem. New ECU fixed comms. He's rapped, taking it out to kill some stuff.
Attachments
Big Fish.jpg