pico diagnostics battery test

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
del63

pico diagnostics battery test

Post by del63 »

hi ,as a new pico 4425a owner i was carrying out a battery test on a 2008 corsa 1.2 petrol which had an intermittent start problem ie. no cranking or slow cranking ,i carried out a battery test and it said good battery requires charging , battery was charged andcar seemed to start ok 1 week later no crank start by the way its the wifes car and she said it was starting slow regular ,when i went to test it again it was no crank no start jump started the car and took it a run let it settle and carried out a battery test and it failed the test, she used the car for her work the next day and after that i carried out a another battery test and it passed,i was not convinced that the battery was ok so i set the scope on pico6 and measured voltage on channel A starter current on channelB and started the car 4 times cranking voltage was 9.5 on first start ,9.0 on 2nd ,7.1 on 3rd , 6.5 on 4th and no start on 5th ,i have files to show these voltages ,my question is how accurate is the battery test onpicodiagnostics because on my testing it has failed to show a faulty battery, new battery has been fitted and files on this starting voltages are avereraging 10.5v what are the thresh holds on the diagnostic battery test to deem a good/bad battery thanks del.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: pico diagnostics battery test

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Del and thank you for the post.

You have described a number of concerns we have surrounding battery testing but also revealed how capacity testing is best carried out with repeated cranking tests."9.5 on first start ,9.0 on 2nd ,7.1 on 3rd , 6.5 on 4th and no start on 5th"

The answers Del are here post57461.html#p57461 and here post77701.html#p77701 where we cover a number of questions raised not only with Pico battery testing but any battery test

I hope these help and please feedback for any clarifcaion.

Take care......Steve