Saving Files in Pico7 Changed?

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
DougS055
OneWave
OneWave

Saving Files in Pico7 Changed?

Post by DougS055 »

Hello,
I have been using Pico 7 software for the last 5 or 6 months and have noticed changes in the way captured files can be saved. It seems as if when Pico 7 started, file names could be what the user wanted to name them without any problems. Now, when saving a file in the "save" form, the file name gets shortened so you can't tell, by file name, what test had been done. Normally, when saving a file, I would put the year, make, model, engine size, type of test, sequence# (test 1, 2 or what ever number I would be up to) and date. Yes, that is a considerable amount of information to go into a file title, but that's how I keep track of all my capture files and have set up my own personal waveform library. (I do also use abbreviations in the file name to keep the file name under a mile in length.) When I'm looking for a particular waveform, I can find it very easily and can see the progression from problem captured to solution.
Unless, you rename the file after saving it, you're left with a file that won't let you know what you've saved.
Would it be possible to go back to the ability to save a file as the user wants to be able to do, please? :?:
Thank you for your time, :)
DougS055

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Saving Files in Pico7 Changed?

Post by Technician »

When did that happen? I downloaded the latest (I thought) software the other day from this forum and have not found that I can't save files in names I write.

DougS055
OneWave
OneWave

Post by DougS055 »

Hi Technician,
I am currently using version 7.0.50.5968 and have found this issue in that version and the last version. I first noticed it in version 7.0.49.5840. The amount of information put into your file name, would determine if you see what I have described below or not. I received an email from Steve (from Pico) about a new version that will ship out either today or tomorrow that may have corrected this issue. He would like me to report back to him via "Feedback" in the software whether the issue is fixed or not which I will do.
This is an experiment I would like you to try if you would please. In this current version and in the "Save" dialogue page, could you type in the following file name and let me know if that works: 1998ChevyK2500Pickup_5.7v8_PassLockSystemTest1_6_15_2020. In my initial post, I list how I type up my file names for all of my waveform captures so I can know the yr, make, model of vehicle, engine size, the test done, sequence number and date. When entering that information into the "File name" section, I could get the "1998ChevyK2500_5." information saved and that would be all. I would need to exit Pico 7 software and locate the file just saved and rename it to what I originally wanted it to be saved as. In the first 4 or 5 versions of Pico 7, this never used to happen. Hopefully in the new version about to come out, this won't happen any more. (Fingers crossed!) :wink: :wink:
Thanks,
DougS055

DougS055
OneWave
OneWave

Post by DougS055 »

I have now loaded and tried the newest Pico7 software release (7.0.51.6093) to see if the file saving issue is still present. In short, it is still present. I did have a communication with Steve Smith yesterday and showed him exactly what my issue is, and the issue doesn't exist in Pico6. He will be taking this communication back to the software engineers in a couple of weeks and we will go from there. IMHO, software creation and engineering is kinda like walking through a mine field. Step on the wrong spot and oops!! I believe this along with other issues techs may be having will be fixed. This is a process. Thank you to Pico for all of your efforts.
DougS055

DougS055
OneWave
OneWave

Post by DougS055 »

Hi All,
I just recently downloaded and installed the newest version of Pico 7 automotive software and found in the release notes (as well as seeing it on my screen) where this problem of saving the capture with a long title has been fixed. This software now operates just as it did in the earlier days after it had come out. :D . I had a screen share meeting with Steve Smith after initially noticing this problem and also after a couple of later versions had been installed without a resolution. I have started using this software again and am starting to like it all over again. Thank you again Steve for going to bat for me.
DougS055

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hi Doug , it was my honour and I must add thanks to the software team that made this happen

These are nuisance bugs that have the potential to "spoil" the use of PS7 and this is something we strive to avoid and if they occur, we will pursue a resolution

Thank you for raising this Doug, onward we go to the next adventure

Take care......Steve