New Beginner NVH purchaser

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
owense1
OneWave
OneWave

New Beginner NVH purchaser

Post by owense1 »

Just bought a starter NVH kit and I am loving it. The videos you guys have along with the Quick Setup and the Help button is amazing but is there a detailed training guide since there are some things I am just not able to use common sense and read through some of the literature to find all the accurate uses of everything.
I can use the microphone pretty well and that is straight foward. The NVH Accelerometer and all that data is overwhelming.
Plus to add to this same thread which I am sure there is information on, pulley ratio? I work for Toyota and they dont give us any of that info and I reluctant to use info from Hot Rod websites and such. Is there a solid website or phone app that will direct me on how to obtain pulley ratios for engine noise?
Thanks for doing what you guys do best at Pico and thanks to everyone helpful on the forums!

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: New Beginner NVH purchaser

Post by Technician »

Hello owense1

Pico Steve should be along next week to offer some very good advice, if he reads this thread. I too invested in the NVH kit and bought some additional items to it, and yes it is a fantastic kit and very informative, but as you've found much of the understanding comes from understanding the data the NVH software produces. I've done quite a lot of research on NVH since I purchased the Pico kit, and I've found that there are industries out there that have had careers in vibration analysis for a working life time. There is a guy on the internet, a professor of NVH over in the states I think. I'd need to Google search him again but he has a lifetime of experience in NVH and presents his videos in a wheel chair, so I conclude the gentleman is disabled, I think wears glasses if I remember, and did a video on propshaft vibrations as well, so if your reading this Steve, your Subaru could get some valid insight from that video maybe! I'll have a look around and see if I can find any details, and also don't let Toyota tell you there is no NVH material available, Toyota do some very good data I know because I've got it, along with some very good VW and Ford NVH data. It is all available maybe for a price, but plenty is free.

Here is a webinar for starters;

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/global/en/webinar/nvh-engineering-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles/58603

owense1
OneWave
OneWave

Post by owense1 »

Yes Weber University in Utah USA. He designed his own NVH app here in the states that is ridiculously good I hear and at $400 USD why not?
He also has incredibly amazing deep dive breakdowns of Hybrids and Electric vehicles which was instrumental in acquiring my L3 ASE for Advanced Hybrid Repair.
I haven’t been on his channel in a year or so and will check to see what he has.
It is mind blowing that you think you know Picoscope so well on the electrical side of it and then you start using the NVH accessory and it makes you feel like a small child trying to solve higher math equations in Latin.
I had to really bone up on my math and physics for the sound measurements and such to just understand what I was looking at and how to get it better which I just need to use the software more and more. Thanks and no rush. I just want to fix vehicles with proper evidence and proof.
Fixing vehicles now without any proof is almost inviting customer ridicule and constant questioning which is a quarter of our thankless profession at times.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts, sorry for the late reply.

Most certainly NVH will send you on a new and exciting journey.

If we take a step back and think of NVH as a tool for gathering and comparing data using new style probes (Accelerometers & Mics) then it is no different from what we do with PicoScope

There is a skill in the capture and of course a skill in the analysis and we are here to help with both.

Pulley ratios/diameters are not always stated by the Vehicle Manufacturer but where access allows, you can physically measure the pulleys and enter this data. Could you take a look here?

Regarding training, hopefully our 7 NVH videos have helped here

We also have numerous forum posts here that summarize a number of measurement techniques and theories of NVH . Please scroll down to around half way to commence the NVH posts that are grouped together

The NVH software also contains help on how to set up along with the all-important theory
NVH 1
NVH 1
NVH 2
NVH 2
I hope some of this helps and of course the Web has so much to offer that must be explored

Take care…….Steve

owense1
OneWave
OneWave

Post by owense1 »

As a whole Steve these resources that you all at Pico Tech have incorporated into the software and tireless hours taping for the videos are a huge help. I know NVH reading for each vehicle is almost as unique as a fingerprint or sound frequency whereas some are as general as tire orders and such.
I have found some reading material where I can decipher the measurements, tools that can be used to aide analyzing of the sound or frequency.
Again I know you all strive for being subject matter experts and at times there are things that are new to even you all at Pico and have to critically think to figure those queries out. I would suggest that just like there is almost a how-to and guided tests for Pico scoping electrically then there should be almost a guide for the software and how best to use it and when.
I am no engineer by any means and at times looking at the eight views when using the accelerometer I do have to research, analyze, and come to my own conclusions which are still valuable to find and fix concerns but as a technician my time and the customers time is valuable and a commodity.
By no means am I being demanding in this part of the thread but some that are interested in NVH really have to dig deep to find relevant info to be confident on using the equipment and software properly and responsibly.
Thank you for all you do and everyone who has helped immensely.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

owense1

Have you looked into the help files in the NVH software?

There is a wealth of information there. Starts off with;

NVH what is it?
Equipment, what is required!
NVH terminology,
How to connect the equipment,
Running the software,
Selecting the NVH test,
NVH help wizards,
NVH setup,
RPM signals,
Vibration signal,
Signal options,
NVH vehicle information,
Advanced buttons,
Configuring PIDS,
NVH record and analyse,
How to view results,
Frequency graphs,
RPM order graphs,
Road speed graphs,
bar graphs,
3D frequency graphs,
Time domain,
Graph features,
NVH options,
NVH advanced options,
Audio dialogue
Function generator,
Starting and stopping recording,
Saving recordings,
Reviewing data,
Acceptable levels of vibration,
Unknown vibrations (what are they)?

That is a sample of information available, there is a wealth of it but we do need to take the time to understand it. NVH has been around for a very long time, industries out there have over 50 years experience in this kind of knowledge.