TPS starting voltage at 2.5V?? Is this right?

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
vartman2

TPS starting voltage at 2.5V?? Is this right?

Post by vartman2 »

Would really appreciate some input.

My Ducati Multistrada 1200s 2010. has been jerking as I roll the throttle. Suspected the TPS.

TPS primary signal starts at 0.5V and climbs steadily to 4.8V (as it should) as I twist the throttle.

TPS secondary signal voltage starts at 2.44V ? and jumps around to 4.8V as I twist the throttle. How can that be such a high starting voltage? Short to voltage or a short to ground or bad earth somewhere?

I changed the throttle body (I have 4) and exactly the same situation.

Changed the ECU (2 spares) and no change.

Went through the manual and checked all the ECU pins and anything that is a ground and added an extra wire to ground them. = no change.

The primary and secondary TPS share the same power circuit and reads 4.99V.
Tested APS and both primary and secondary sensors work fine and gives a clear pyramid signal on my Pico Auto scope as I open and close the throttle. TPS waveform is rather noisier (even with the lead properly grounded).

Checked the wiring harness both visually (by removing all the wrapping) as well as ohm testing the wires and grounds (disconnected from ECU). Some of the sensor earths don’t ground without the ECU plugged in.

I’m fresh out of ideas. Some more experienced input would be most welcome.
Attachments
136E4E0A-304B-4359-8C2D-73A55699EF4C.jpeg

Dejan
OneWave
OneWave

Re: TPS starting voltage at 2.5V?? Is this right?

Post by Dejan »

Hy Vartman2,
TPS sensor are actually two potentiometers and if it has good power supply and ground measured at throttle casing,same TPS signals measured at ECU for four different throttle casings and two ECUs are acting the same then maybe it isn't the cause of the problem.

Beside that,TPS signals don't follow each other all the way,it looks like they have different operating/measuring angles of throttle plate.Maybe that's way one sensor starts from 2.5V but I'm not sure.It's also normal for TPS signals to have different operating voltages.Check if it's same for all four throttle casings.

Best regards Dejan

leonardorj
OneWave
OneWave

Re: TPS starting voltage at 2.5V?? Is this right?

Post by leonardorj »

Olá meus caros, sou da area automotiva e gostaria de saber se está moto tem Acelerador eletrônico ou não ?