14 RAM hemi misfire

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
rburgy
OneWave
OneWave

14 RAM hemi misfire

Post by rburgy »

Hello everyone. I have a misfire situation here that I wondered if I could get a little help with what direction to go in. First of all. this was bought at the auction. Its a 2014 RAM 2500 P/U with a 6.4L HEMI with 175K miles

Trouble code is simply a p0300 multiple miss. the cylinders missing are 1-4-6-7
A couple of the tests I do not have waveforms for, sorry I did not save them. The spark plugs for the missing cylinders were completely gas soaked. the others were covered in black soot. these engines have 2 plugs per cylinder with a double ignition coil. I replaced all the plugs. and switched 1 &3 coils around. the same condition occurred with no change. I scoped the secondary with the scales of the automotive menu and they all looked ok but when i took a larger time base the missfire cylinders showed very little positive KV as opposed to the good cylinder. I checked the current rams for both a good and missing cylinder and found the missing one is getting 1/2 the saturation. So my next step was to check the control from the pcm on uthe missing vs good cylinder which i have that waveform as well. the last thing I did was jumper a known good 12v to a missing coil which did nothing for the problem. see what you think I should do next. thanks
Attachments
7 & 8 COIL CONTROL.psdata
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 322 times
RAM ODD COIL SECONDARY.psdata
(893.81 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
14 RAM COP CURRENT.psdata
(707.7 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

Tech Mark

Re: 14 RAM hemi misfire

Post by Tech Mark »

Interesting problem!

Does this truck have the MDS system? If so I would start by checking this is functioning correctly as MDS shuts down cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7 when active. I am not massively familiar with the system but I think if the solenoids are stuck open you will have no valve operation.

Can you scope solenoid current and voltage? Or even better, running cylinder pressure in a good cylinder and a bad cylinder with a WPS?

Mark

Dejan
OneWave
OneWave

Re: 14 RAM hemi misfire

Post by Dejan »

Hi Rburgy,
I'm sorry to tell you but you don't use your scope properly.Scope sample interval in secondary waveform is 25 microseconds,it's to way slow to be useful in my opinion.It's a same story with coil control waveform (50 microseconds).Maybe that's way you have odd kV spikes.You need to set scope for 1 microsecond between samples for optimal secondary waveform in my opinion (someone would like faster but I don't).So when you enlarge time base you should enlarge scope samples per screen also...This way it's hard to analyse waveforms and help you...

Voltage/vertical scaling is also wrong but that isn't big problem...

Best regards,Dejan