Protection

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Carl

Protcetion

Post by Carl »

I have a question

When the secondary leads are connected, what will happen if the HT lead is pulled off the spark plug, or the HT lead is open circuit and the channel gets zapped? Is there any protection for this scenario? :twisted:

Thanks

matthew
OneWave
OneWave

Post by matthew »

Hi Carl,

The HT Lead should never have a direct electrical connection which would allow it to be 'zapped'. If there is potential for this ever to happen, then the equipment is not being used safely.

The unit is protected from major damage up to 100V dc, however, you can only measure up to 42V dc for personal safety.

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer

Carlos

Re: Protcetion

Post by Carlos »

Carl wrote:I have a question

When the secondary leads are connected, what will happen if the HT lead is pulled off the spark plug, or the HT lead is open circuit and the channel gets zapped? Is there any protection for this scenario? :twisted:

Thanks
Hello carl!

Ouch I see what you mean. I went to check the connection of the HT clip on the main coil lead with the engine running, a spark jumped through thelead insulaion to the connector and I got a zap. I dont think it caused any damage to the unit :roll:

Regards Carlos

matthew
OneWave
OneWave

Post by matthew »

Hi,

I've checked this out with the manufacturer, and the lead is designed to dump these sparks to ground, so there should be no problem with damaging the unit.

If you want to avoid this happening anyway, just switch the engine off first.

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer

Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks that's all I wanted to know

Regards Carl :D