WPS 500x

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

WPS 500x

Post by Technician »

Just a little clarification required please.

Given low usage of the WPS500x I was wondering about the start of the next use of it!

So I turn the WPS500x on and I'm going to be testing say half a hour. I switch on the WPS500x and there is no indication that the battery is becoming low in charge, but might then do out in the test bay, so I was wondering about the charge time, and should I start to charge the transducer prior to the low charge indicator illuminating, and if I do charge it from the USB, will the transducer visually let me know that the internal battery is fully charged?

Thank you.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: WPS 500x

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post, sorry for the late reply

I understand and agree with the apprehension when you pick up your WPS out of the box for the first time in X months.

There is always a niggling feeling about how much charge is left in the device and will it get through the road test etc.

I have added a "Battery Test" function as a new feature request and so as products evolve, this is a feature that will be considered as many would like to see.

The WPS does have low battery warning and a charging indicator (when charging) which extinguishes when fully charged

Please the User Guide below
Image 1
Image 1
Charge time is 5 hours (See below) when new, but in my experience the WPS charge indicator extinguishes after 2 hours. However, I cannot confirm the charge level when the device is placed on charge. (Rather than risk a low WPS on a road-test I place the device on charge)
Image 2
Image 2
Please don't worry about the battery "Cycle" as the WPS does not experience a Battery Memory Effect and so charging a half charged battery does not affect the battery performance .

If push comes to shove I have used a Power Bank attached to the WPS when the low battery warning light has illuminated during testing. Whilst this is not a recommended practice, we don't have to worry about "noise" or ground loops when charging from a power bank, unlike external USB chargers. (This serves as a "get out of jail" practice only)

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: WPS 500x

Post by Technician »

Thanks Steve, your input is very much appreciated.