Views and Reference Waveforms

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Views and Reference Waveforms

Post by ben.martins »

This may or may not be useful but I saw someone discussing this and thought I would demonstrate how it can be achieved in both PS6 and PS7.

Hope it helps. Stay safe everyone.

Ben

DougS055
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Views and Reference Waveforms

Post by DougS055 »

Thank you Ben for your post on making reference waveforms for those of us that didn't know how before now.
I do have one question for you. At the present, it appears you can only make a reference waveform using a waveform produced on one channel of the scope (please see Tools > Reference Waveforms > Diaglogue Box). I am wanting to make a reference waveform using 4 channels for a reference waveform involving CKP vs. CMP vs. Running Compression Waveform vs. Primary (or Secondary) Ignition Synch for use to determine valve timing and proper ignition timing events. Is this possible :?: ? If so, could you please enlighten me as to how it could be done? :?
Thank you for your time,
DougS

DougS055
OneWave
OneWave

Post by DougS055 »

After watching a tutorial on the Autonerdz website, I think I have figured out how to solve my issue. I also found out that building a reference waveform using 4 channels isn't possible. So what I will attempt to do is build 4 reference wave forms from the same capture for a like vehicle and bring all 4 reference wave forms into another scope view below the suspect waveform and compare the two that way. I am very new to building reference wave forms, so it looks as if I will be getting a lot of practice in the very near future.
Take care,
DougS

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Doug,

Glad you've sorted and yes you are right. Although you cannot create one reference waveform using all 4 channels, you can create individual ones which you can then store in your library to call upon. You can then add them all to the same scope view or viewport.

I've added another video below which I will redo soon as it's a little out of date now but the content is still relevant. Just remember that when you save a PSDATA file with reference waveform created, that reference stays with that file. If you were to save just the single buffer with your known good then you could have everything set up in that one file, reference waveform, viewport arrangement, timebase, voltage etc, which would then allow you to make the connection then just run the scope.

Another small tip is when using the waveform library instead of downloading the whole file you can click on Load next to the channel and the software will pull the data from that channel as a reference waveform. This has a slight draw back that to make everything line up your setup and the waveform library capture will need to be on the same timebase. If it's useful I could do another short video on this?

I hope this helps but it sounds like you're on the right track. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards

Ben
Attachments
Reference Waveform Creation with Export.mp4
(4.5 MiB) Downloaded 327 times