wasted spark waveform interpretation

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
bonecrusher
OneWave
OneWave

wasted spark waveform interpretation

Post by bonecrusher »

Hello Guys.

I need some help understanding this waveform in this waste spark system. I am confused as to why cyl 1 injector is pulsing twice in 720 degrees, from my interpretation this is incorrect. Help me understand.

Regards
Attachments
Opel_Corsa B_2004_Petrol_20200403-0002.psdata
(2.35 MiB) Downloaded 375 times

slashsam
OneWave
OneWave

Re: wasted spark waveform interpretation

Post by slashsam »

bonecrusher wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:18 pm
Hello Guys.

I need some help understanding this waveform in this waste spark system. I am confused as to why cyl 1 injector is pulsing twice in 720 degrees, from my interpretation this is incorrect. Help me understand.

Regards
Hi
Tell ve please, the cylinder volume and marking, and more horsepower this engine.

Grant_Baker
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Grant_Baker »

What market is this vehicle? My internet search shows Opel Corsa B was 1993-2000 only.

If this capture was taken at cold start, you could be looking at normal cold start strategy. The engineers may have decided to fire each injector twice to enrich the mixture for drivability purpose or catalyst warm up strategy purpose. Let it warm up a few minutes, then check injector control waveform again.

Are you tapped into the control side of the injector for two cylinders instead of one?

What does the wiring diagram show at the PCM ...are the injectors fired in pairs/only 2 drivers?

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I have one of those cars, mine is the single point injection. I can't remember if Vauxhall did a multi cylinder injection system, although looking at your waveform it appears they did. I can see that the coil current ramp triggers twice and this suggests that the ignition is also triggering during the exhaust stroke, which might suggest why the injector is triggers twice?